Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

cracked rear tailhouse bouncy driveshaft

Just picked up my van 12 days ago from storage from its winter hibernation. Just did a great week in Southern,UT. Returned to Dgo. and found a large puddle of trans fluid under the van 30 mins after its return. So took it to it's favorite place. No not the beach or mtns. To the mechanic. Two trans rebuilds a blown transfer case and now this all less than 2yrs. So asking members from what I have been reading the cracked tail house is common fault in Fords??? Haven't found anything on this site in searches. Anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations to ask the mechanic to do to eliminate future problems? The mechanic did say it's possible the way the 4x4 conversion is setup (UJOINT/MG coil) something with design where the DS is. I need to clarify what he was talking about here. Thanks

keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #2

i had this issue when i bought my van (07 5.4 EB, 2WD)

I brought it to a transmission shop and they replaced the housing and did a trans flush for about $450, i was apparently the 2nd van in that week for that issue. Apparently corrosion builds up between the frame crossmember and the trans housing and causes a stress fracture which creates a trans fluid leak. should be an easy fix
axcxnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Thanks axcxnj! The more I google it seems to be a trend in these transmissions. My mechanic said he has to drop the transfer case (5.4 V8 4x4) which seems obvious and parts and labor $1200.00. Unfortunately in this small town we don't have trans specific shops.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #4

Just returned from the mechanic. Now I see what he is talking about. The drive shaft going into the transfer case then into the tail house according to him doesn't have proper support. You can literally bounce the whole thing up and down. I will try and link a vid.
The mechanic said the design of the conversion where the cross-member support is is to far back needs moved forward like in F-series. Where the support is causes to much play and stress on the tail-house causing the cracking according to him. But I'm wondering if that much play is from a bad ujoint or something else? With that much play I can see this happening again in the future or something worse. Love to hear some thoughts!
Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #5

Hopefully this link works to vid of bouncy drive shaft. https://photos.app.goo.gl/k8ZHXKTvVCZTVoNs9
Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #6

Got any photos from the side, showing the location of the crossmember? I'm guessing most all of them are in the same place. Are the mounts in good shape?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #7

Here's two photos of the CM. Good they are not. Sorry! UJ removed one the cross members if I remember right to make room for the shackles. This is the one they installed after the cut, and it's only one.
Attached Thumbnails
cross 1.jpg   cross 2.jpg  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #8

The video shows the trans mount bouncing a lot but I can't see the cross member flexing. Does the cross member flex a lot too? The mount itself definitely moves more than it should. Has that been replaced?
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #9

Michael-When I went by yesterday with it on the rack it didn't seem like the cross member was flexing. Just the DS,TC,& trans were moving a lot even where it's bolted to the mount. The support seems rather weak, and did not seem ujoint related on the DS. The mount hasn't been replaced to my knowledge. Unless it was replaced during the initial conversion.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #10

Those mounts can go bad. I'd replace that part because it looks like excessive bounce on that mount.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote