Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #1

Cummins engine replacement for the 6.0.

If anyone is interested, I was visiting a shop just east of Portland, OR. The owner, Rob was in the process of placing a 6.7 L Cummins in his F350 ford. He found his 6.4 L Powerstroke was failing him too often and decided to fix it right. This will be his forth conversion. I asked if it could be done on the E350. He said either the Cummins 5.9 or 6.7 would fit, plus there are many custom turbos and finding one to fit would not be an issue. The reason the Powerstroke 6.4 did not fit due to all the emissions equipment. The cost would be $9500 in labor and about 80-100 man hours to complete. The total cost would be depending on how your source your engine and what you do afterward...20K total and up from there. (The engine he has was from a totaled truck with only 1000K miles on it.) I asked about a manual transmission and he said sure, but why would I to given the improvements with the automatic transmissions.

My van has less than 10K miles on it and no issues currently. However, it is reassuring that for a modest fee, I can rebuild my van into something better. For now I will just place an axillary transmission cooler, larger replacement for steering fluid, EGR delete and custom air intake and 4" exhaust minus the cat. The EGR valve will remain in line and therefore prevent any error codes.

I also asked if hypothetically I total my SMB. Could I convert an E350 gas to a Cummins? It can be done, but may have issues with Oregon's DEQ and title issues.

The youtube links are from a racing Duramax Rob built that is rated the 4th fastest. 0-130+ under 10 seconds. I had no idea a diesel could out pace many muscle cars. That link I will post when I come across it again.

The contact information:

Rob's 4 Wheel Drive and Diesel Center

503 650 6101

11955 SE Highway 212
Clackamas, OR 97015

(503) 967-7352

robsoffroad@yahoo.com

(I have no affiliation with them)

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #2

Re: Cummins engine replacement for the 6.0.

Has he done a van before?

I'm planning my next van with a Cummins swap, can't wait to get started!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #3

Depending on where you are located, I would consider Rob. Seeing the install in his truck, which he is in the process of completing, they do quality work. He redesigned and modified his ford transfer case. It is impressive work.

This is another truck he built...not a Cummins.

He has not done an E350 Van as yet. I would be willing to be the first once my engine has issues significant enough to be pulled, at which point I will convert over to a new Cummins. Financially it makes sense.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Site Team

http://www.fordcummins.com/

http://www.destroked.com/

http://www.handpickedtrucks.com/diesel- ... -sale.html

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

http://fummins.com/
Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #5

I've still yet to actually see a Cummins powered Ford van (92 to current)
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
I've still yet to actually see a Cummins powered Ford van (92 to current)
FWIW, this is one of the pages on the FordCummins site. Doesn't seem too promising to me.

E Series Ford Information

Can you put a Cummins diesel engine in your Ford Van? Yes.

You can put a 5.9 6bt Cummins engine in your E Series Ford van. We do not actually provide motor mounts at this time. We have done one E 350 Ford van. It was an '04 E 350 with an ’04 Cummins engine and we did it back in '04. There is more work to converting a van as there is less room under the hood, but it is doable. We do not provide an installation manual for the vans at this time.

As far as adapting to a Ford transmission in a van, we provide our Ford Cummins Adapter Plates that allow you to adapt a Ford big block or diesel style transmission to a Cummins engine.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #7

I disagree. I think the market for such a project is limited. I had a friend do it with a Cheve van in the late 80s. Granted the engines were vastly different, less complicated, less govt mandated emissions control. The motor mounts would be customized and I am sure other things as well. However, that is what these guys do. They are willing and interested in taking on the project. As our rigs age, this is a viable and cheaper option to consider. Especially for me, considering the hours and $$ spent designing and modifying my van to my liking. What I love most on this forum is learning from those who are more innovative than I am and pushing the envelope with very creative designs and addressing known issues. My threshold for taking on such a project will be $$ associated with dropping the motor. I rather spend $$$ and do it right.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #8

That could be cool, but I'm not sure I'd consider 20K modest.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Sure would have to live the the right state too. More and more states inspect/test diesel rigs, and while an engine swap is one thing, a EPA legal swap is another.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. Well, I'm all for you doing it. I'm in the wrong state for that swap to happen, and I don't have that much cash laying around.

Herb
Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #10

I plan on doing a Cummins 5.9L CommonRail when my engine finally kicks it. I would like to pair it with an Allison 6-speed (If I had the TorqueShift, I would stick with that, but the 4R100 is a too broadly spaced for the Cummins IMO). I have a 6.7L in my work truck, and I'm not super impressed. The emissions system makes it a fuel hog.

In Oregon, you won't have a problem with emissions. Diesel vehicles over 8500 GVW are exempt. Once the diesel engine is on, you just fill out the exemption declaration form.