Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #1

Custom Air Intake

Has anyone placed a custom air intake unit for their SMB, such as a CAT 6637 filter/housing? If so what did you use. I am tempted to cut a hole in fender and place a 3" elevated stainless steel pipe and mount the unit above. Has anyone been able to create a better than stock unit inside our limited engine compartment?

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #2

Re: Custom Air Intake

It has been said by many that the air intake/filter housing was one of the few things that Ford got right on the 6.0L. I can't point to specifics but the design is supposedly pretty efficient with air flow and traps a ton of crap at the same time. A few of the regarded techs on thedieselstop.com have recommended to leave the stock airbox alone on the 6.0l.
Again, just going by what i've read on other sites....
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Site Team

Not sure this is what you're looking for, but here's one related thread.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4806&hilit=zylstra+intake
Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
It has been said by many that the air intake/filter housing was one of the few things that Ford got right on the 6.0L. I can't point to specifics but the design is supposedly pretty efficient with air flow and traps a ton of crap at the same time. A few of the regarded techs on thedieselstop.com have recommended to leave the stock airbox alone on the 6.0l.
Again, just going by what i've read on other sites....
The truck intake & filter is vastly different from the one on the van. I have read quite a few forum posts stating the van is a lot more restrictive than the truck. Not sure I fully believe it though.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #5

Custom Air Intake

Zylstra Automotive in Visalia, CA does a custom air filter. Several on the forum have this mod. I have one on mine along with a 4" exhaust.

Last time my van was at SMB West they asked if it was chipped (it is not). I had it done because I was looking for ways to run cooler in the AZ heat as opposed to generating more power. Still runs pretty hot, so not sure if I was successful there...
Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #6

Zylstra asked what type of filter to get...wet, dry etc...what airaid filter does everyone use? Figure for dusty roads a wet filter, but uncertain. Any thoughts?
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #7

For dusty conditions use a "Dry" filter as when coated you can pull it and tap the dust out. Oiled "Wet" filters have to be cleaned a dry before reuse.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
For dusty conditions use a "Dry" filter as when coated you can pull it and tap the dust out. Oiled "Wet" filters have to be cleaned a dry before reuse.
That's why I gave up on K&N's for my Bronco. Here in the southwest there are too many dusty roads.

Dusty roads + oiled filters = caked on oily suldge on the outside of your filter preventing air flow

Herb