Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #1

Garage
dang it, im broke down. tool request please!

Driving along and start hearing this weird buzzing knock type sound. Then all of a sudden I have no brake boost assist... which some of you know basically means very little if any brakes.

I’m a couple hours from home but luckily in cell range. I’ve got some tools, but not sure I have everything I need. So I’m reaching out to the gurus to see if there’s any special tools I’m going to need to swap out my vacuum pump?

Looks like the actual pump is pretty straight forward, but I’ve never had to take tension off my serpentine belt before. It’s dark and I can’t see squat atm. Is there anything special I should have my rescue crew bring that will aid in our task at hand? Any tips, tricks, and advise would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #2

Hi
The only special tool you need would be a power steering pulley puller to change out the pulley on the vacuum pump
I just did this project last week on my 06 6.0 took about 4-5 hours, partly just figuring things out
I removed the bolts for the power steering mount and pushed it out of the way
I removed the brackets for the radiator to give me a little flex room. radiator stays in
remove the upper fan shroud 4 small bolts two on top and two on the bottom, have to remove the upper radiator hose, only lost about 1/2 gallon of coolant
remove the air box "hose"
remove inter-cooler hoses both sides, not sure you need to do the passenger side
Removed the 4 bolts and one nut for the inner fan shroud again more flex room ( just pushed it to the side a little)
there is a "latch on the belt tensioner they say you can pull on the belt and have a second person engage the "latch" it didn't work for me, I had to use a 1/2 breaker on the tensioner to be able to engage the latch from below
You should be able to see the vacuum pump now, the bolts are 10mm I broke them loose with a box wrench the was able to use a 1/4 in drive an extension to get the bolts out.
I had to use an impact to get the old pulley off, I had bought a new pulley just in case.
I got everything from oriellys Approx 200 for the pump and 50 for the pulley which I ended up returning
primitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

Garage
I've done it twice on my old 7.3 and did it without any special tools. The first time was 2 hours the second under 1 hour. It's mostly just getting to it and doing the rubicks cube trick on it to get it out. You do need a big enough wrench to take the belt off. It's not that bad of a job. I did it by common sense only as I wasn't near internet the first time.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #4

Garage
^^^ tyvm primitive!

We missed the one parts store close time by 10 min. People out in front of it smoking told us they had just drove away. As I made a few calls out on the side of the store I sa some people wander over and start getting in a car. I asked if they were employees and they were! Asked if they would happen to have the part in stock and she said with authority that they didn’t but recommended a a towing place and said he was a diesel enthusiast. I called him and he knew them well and said he might have what I needed in his lot. Offered us the driveway at his shop until he was back from his call. We set up shop and waited for his return. Sure enough he had one bolted to a motor that was slated to go in a truck in the next few weeks. Removed part and crashed out. Let my rescue crew know that I should be set and they didn’t need to make the journey.

Woke up at the asscrack of dawn and started in on the chore after watching vids and heading primitives directions. Cept I got lazy since I was landlocked and couldn’t go for more coolant, etc. I removed the air box and that was it. Took me about an hour to swap the pump out.

Currently waiting for breakfast to show then headed into the hills to slay trees.

Thanks again primitive
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 10-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

Nice save Shenrie!
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #6

Garage
Fortunately I've not had the need to "rescue myself" while out in my Van, but think its fantastic to see others (Primitive in this case) come to the aid with a timely response.
Also brilliant of you Shenrie to have posted here - wouldn't have even thought of reaching out to the Forum as a resource while disabled...great example for all!
Old 10-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
...Also brilliant of you Shenrie to have posted here - wouldn't have even thought of reaching out to the Forum as a resource while disabled...great example for all!
I did just notice however, that Shenrie did not include his vehicle info in his post, or in his signature. Could be a key piece of info when people post for help, to have your make, model, engine, 4x4 system (if applicable) in your signature.

Herb
Old 10-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #8

Glad your up and running
😊😊
primitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:38 AM   #9

Garage
Yes, thanks primitive and glad shenrie is up and running as well.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Fortunately I've not had the need to "rescue myself" while out in my Van, but think its fantastic to see others (Primitive in this case) come to the aid with a timely response.
^^^ one of the many reasons I love this forum!

Quote:
Also brilliant of you Shenrie to have posted here - wouldn't have even thought of reaching out to the Forum as a resource while disabled...great example for all!
We had a local forum for car enthusiasts that was awesome for stuff just like this. Unfortunately it died when fb got popular.

Main thing that made me post was thinking back seeing a post where someone was talking about needing a weird combination of things to do the serpentine belt but couldn’t find the post. So I rolled the dice with my own post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Nice save Shenrie!
I’ll take luck over skill np

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I did just notice however, that Shenrie did not include his vehicle info in his post, or in his signature. Could be a key piece of info when people post for help, to have your make, model, engine, 4x4 system (if applicable) in your signature.
Ya, that was pretty dumb on my part. The whole evening was a scramble...

Vandiesel, looks like you posted as we were waiting for breakfast. Appreciate your response as well!

Our weekend was great overall. Got to cutting down trees about 11. Wife was actually able to help which is rare these days so we were able to get about 2/3’s the trailer full by 5pm. We were spent so we wandered to some hot springs. Wife couldn’t join due to her ongoing foot issues, but as she made dinner I had me a nice 1.5 hour soak.

I got up this morning and and was able to find enough wood right at the hot springs to fill up rest of trailer. Got everything ready to go and both the wife and I enjoyed a 1.5 hour soak. So nice after busting your butt all day. Drive home was typical highway 55 road train. One jackass holding up 30 cars. Stopped at a Mexican restaurant just outside of town to get off the road train and waited out the traffic with dinner.

Saw a blue 4wd e350 on our way home too. I missed it till last second due to sun in my eyes but wife saw it and waves were exchanged. Thinking it might be the gent that lives in riggins?? Can’t remember his screen name but he runs the salmon river as a guide iirc.

I’ll try to post a few pix tomorrow and thanks again for the long distance support! I love this place!!