Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #21

Do the PCV valve with each plug job. When it sticks, things get messy. It caused mine to puke oil into the coolant. I actually thought the engine-oil cooler blew so I replaced it. Same result so I was worried about the head gasket, but had no other symptoms. About a week later I see a oil under the van and thought for sure I blew a hole in the block. The pressure finally launched the PCV valve out of the valve cover and is was blowing oil out of the hole. New PCV valve and a couple coolant flushes later, good as new!

I think I had about 250,000 miles on that PVC valve.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #22

I forgot to mention the PCV valve. Yes, you'll pull it out of the way anyway.

I did mine, my valve was fine, but the seal in the valve cover was seeping a little. So get one that comes with a seal (the Motorcraft one does), or get a separate seal.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #23

My 06 5.4 is coming up on 90K miles. I bought it with 67K. When should the plug replacement job be done?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
My 06 5.4 is coming up on 90K miles. I bought it with 67K. When should the plug replacement job be done?
100k under the regular maintenance schedule. 95k under the severe service schedule, which includes short trips, not just heavy hauling.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:58 AM   #25
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
I do mine at 50K or there abouts, time and weather being the biggest contributor to when its done. Its a chore to be certain but since I can go 2.5-3 years between plug changes which isn't a bit service interval. I do this to prevent the plugs from seizing inside the head more than thinking they're "worn out".

Apart from what's already been shared the wiring harness COP connectors are subject to the retention tab being broken during removal---they don't age well in their environment and become a bit brittle, snapping off during removal. If that tab isn't already broken its easy to do no matter how many times we've done this previously.

I have learned to be VERY careful when removing these, not squeezing the tab too hard and taking time to gently rock the connector until it comes loose. I've seen more than a few who remove the COP, boot and spring then laying it aside on the intake while changing plugs. Assuming the boots are in good shape this would work very, very well.

NAPA and other parts sellers offer repair connectors, their cost being about $20 each for the Motorcraft or equivalent quality. Using proper crimping tools they're a bit of a challenge space-wise to install but something we can't ignore.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:56 AM   #26

I pulled my harness this evening to replace all the connectors with broken clips. Turns out all the fuel injector ones were broken, except for one that was not original. The coil connectors were all OK, and did not appear to be in any danger of breaking.

This is about a two hour affair, perhaps a little less. I also cleaned the intake and mass air flow sensor in that time. If one did it at the same time as doing the plugs, I'd expect an extra hour tops, probably more like 45 minutes.

I disassembled the plugs and installed the old pins into the new ones. The old ones were super brittle and mostly just shattered when I manipulated them. I wonder if they are subject to something that the coil connectors are not, or if they were just made from a poor choice of material. Regardless, not a huge deal on a 19 year old vehicle.

Getting the harness out just requires unplugging everything on the front of the engine as well as the coils, injectors and a couple of things on the top. Then they can carefully be pulled into the footwells and dealt with. I'm not sure if this would be easier with two people, but it can be done alone.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #27

I fixed all the broken clips on mine with tiny zip ties.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #28

The impact of fixing the injector plugs was dramatic. Even more so than the coils and plugs. I'm not sure the v10 ever ran this well while I've had it.

If you have broken clips on the injector plugs, do something to ensure that they stay attached to the injectors.