Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #1

Dealer wants 430.00 to do spark plugs on a V10?

I used the search function to do some reading on changing spark plugs on a V10. I found lots about what and when, not much about how. Is there a thread someone can send me a link to that would discuss this? The dealer wants over 400.00 to do it, which is enough for me try myself. Do I need to pull the fuel rail? Do I access all plugs from the doghouse end of things? Oh, it's an 07 v10. Any helpful advice is much appreciated.

Also, would PCV's affect mpg?

Thanks!
C.

c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:09 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Dealer wants 430.00 to do spark plugs on a V10?

As we're already in discussion about actual plug changes I'll skip over that for now. Maybe I'll compile a most-helpful list of threads found on FTE relating to the actual task---if time permits that might make a nice sticky thread in this forum?

Anyway a failed PCV doesn't cause a lot of performance or driveability issues but it can literally suck the engine oil out with little or no warning. Those who don't regularly check oil level would be very subject to suddenly "dry" engine---never a good thing.

They're usually $10-12 each to replace, the better brands including a new valve cover grommet too. Over 4 different E250's with 5.4 motor I've replaced two, both will just about 170K or more miles.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

Price seems pretty decent. It's a 4-hour book job.

9 of them aren't too bad. But plug #8 seems to take about 3 of those hours. Removing the fuel rail is not necessary. But lifting the wire harness makes it way easier (remove retainer bolts on each end, and I even unplug the big connectors).

And X2 on the PCV causing oil problems. When mine plugged in started dumping oil into the coolant via the engine oil cooler. Replaced the cooler first of course, with no change. Couldn't figure out the problem even after rupturing the heater line twice, until one day the pressure finally shot the PCV valve right out!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

I do, and enjoy doing, plenty of my own work. The v10 plugs are sufficiently trouble prone, that I'd have a professional tech with some experience with them do that job. I wouldn't flinch too hard at that price either. They don't need to be done terribly often.

In comparison I'd consider doing my own plugs on the 911, if it saved me from paying for an engine out service. It has considerably less space, but has plugs that come out and go back in reliably without anything going wrong.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

I recently paid about that for my 5.4 plug change, or $320 after a 20% coupon the dealer sent me.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:32 AM   #6
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Price seems pretty decent. It's a 4-hour book job.
Price is decent assuming its done properly---if I were unwilling to DIY the money wouldn't be a huge issue.

Quote:
9 of them aren't too bad. But plug #8 seems to take about 3 of those hours. Removing the fuel rail is not necessary. But lifting the wire harness makes it way easier (remove retainer bolts on each end, and I even unplug the big connectors).
On the 5.4 this can be tricky too, not sure how the V10 differs from the V8 on that particular plug. I posted my solution to it here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ug-change.html

Quote:
And X2 on the PCV causing oil problems. When mine plugged in started dumping oil into the coolant via the engine oil cooler. Replaced the cooler first of course, with no change. Couldn't figure out the problem even after rupturing the heater line twice, until one day the pressure finally shot the PCV valve right out!
I chuckle a bit at bad PCV's and my own recent experience with one on my own '03 5.4. One day I noticed a higher pitched tone coming from the engine, very noticeable at idle. Quickly looking under the hood it at first seemed to be coming from the front cover or close by. Immediate thoughts were right side cam bearings, timing chains issues----pricey, down time stuff.

After a few stethoscope tests, hearing nothing but good sounds it hit me the PCV could be the culprit. Because I had an extra one sitting around a quick swap "solved" my problem immediately.

All this was funny only because had these same symptoms been presented to me my first suggestion would be to check the PCV.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #7

That's a steal. Take it!

A lot cheaper than waiting for all the wounds to your hands to heal. Both middle plugs are difficult to access because they are right under the firewall. As has been mentioned you just need to move the wiring harness a bit, not the fuel rail.

You access the 4 front plugs from under the hood.
The 4 rear plugs from the doghouse. Life is easier if you remove one front seat (trust me!)

You need to have:
- genuine Ford/Motorcraft plugs of the correct NEW part number (with more threads)
- a spare coil pack boot or two
- either compressed air or a vacuum cleaner with tiny nozzle to get rid of the debris in the plug wells BEFORE you remove the plug
- a series of extension and universal joints to allow you to get to each coil pack bolt.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:40 AM   #8
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
You access the 4 front plugs from under the hood.
The 4 rear plugs from the doghouse. Life is easier if you remove one front seat (trust me!)

You need to have:
- genuine Ford/Motorcraft plugs of the correct NEW part number (with more threads)
Excerpting Anzac's post only to clarify something.......

Definitely agree about seat removal, at least one does indeed make this task soooooooo much easier!

Best plugs for this job are definitely MotorCraft or AutoLite, those spec'd for the year engine and chassis. Because E-Series never received the 3-valve heads "new" plugs don't really exist, the typical size and thread count on the plug body are more than sufficient.

The other information was spot on---thanks for reminding us Anzac!
Old 06-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Because E-Series never received the 3-valve heads "new" plugs don't really exist, the typical size and thread count on the plug body are more than sufficient.
No, they do -- the 2v plugs were updated, I forget when but it was around 2005 or 2006. I remember when I bought them for my 99 V10 I had to check I had the newer plug.

(Nothing related to the 3 valve heads at all. The non 3-valve heads had plug spitting issues! This issue goes back a long time. 3 valve heads had their own spark plug issues - spark plugs breaking off)

But if you look up the plug numbers these days, the plug number you will get will be correct.
e.g. Part number for my rig (2002 V10) is now AGSF-22W-M, Motorcraft SP-479.

The newer plug number also has a different plating. But definitely look up your plug number on FordPartsGiant.com or wherever has a current Ford catalog.

(the original OLD number was AWSF-22E - DO NOT BUY!)

My point is don't buy non-OEM plugs at a parts house because they may have been cross referenced to the older plug.

There are huge threads about this over on Ford-Trucks.com if you want the chapter and verse.
Just search on the spark plug numbers.

I forgot to mention (obviously) you have to remove all of the air intake tubing.

My other advice is don't try and do them all in a day. I would do one or two, take a break, come back another day. Super annoying job in a van. In a truck it would be a piece of cake.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #10

Picture old vs new part numbers:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery ... 0400&.jpg=