Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #1

Deaver springs and upgraded brakes

I've seen mention regarding Deaver springs over stock SMB setup - which i think are Bilsteins. Also, I saw mention of Storm Brake system upgrade.

Anyone care to comment / offer insight into pro/con and/or necessity?

My view, I want the best brakes I can afford because I figure the SMB (RB) is a load to stop and would be money well spent. Don't know anything about Storm but I know about Brembo. I also want the best suspension that will improve on/off road travel and control.

warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: Deaver springs and upgraded brakes

warholic-
The '08s come with Old Man Emu shocks and OME Dakar springs. Not Deavers, but I have NO complaints re; ride and handling. The new trucks also come with what I believe to be
F 550 brakes which are just phenominal compared to the old ones.
Bill
Old 06-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #3

I've got an 06 SMB and am about to spend a good amount on.....what else: suspension and brake upgrades.

The overall SMB package has been excellent, but these are two areas where I'd like to have better performance than I do now.

Rob
Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #4

good info - good input. I'll talk to SMB one of these days (smile) but I like to have your input (ie, owner's) on real world experience. Sounds like F550 brakes makes LOTS of sense after all the mods to the E350. So I'll look into Deavers versus OME Dakar.
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #5

Went nuts and bought rear Deavers for my '02 Q. Amazing difference. I had Bilstein 5100's already. Rides much better.

Bring money
Tom
Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

In 05 much of the buzz on the owners group was rear sag on the EB's as a rule. So I added air bags to my rear spring pack even though SMB had upgraded the rear springs from older models. Other than the jarring effect that washboard causes, my 11K+ lb van rides and corners very well. Air bags are kind of difficult to deal with. There is always a slight leak on my rig that causes me to add a little air once a week but it's only the push of a button. Air bags can lift the rear a few inches and my van has never looked like it low in the rear. I don't think you can install bags on the front with the SMB conversion because of the disconnects. I still think I'll do the Deaver's one of these days. I don't know if SMB will install them or not but I would ask. With Deavers, air bags probably are not needed unless you have a heavy trailer.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #7

When Jage and I were in Moab last month we swapped vans to drive on asphalt. His has Deavers, mine has stock.

Granted his is a diesel and EB and mine a V10 and RB. His ride was more "cushy" and mine was firmer as I remember. But what really stood out is how mine cornered. It was more like a car in that the cornering was tighter and felt better to me at higher speeds. Offroad mine is rough on washboard, borderline unbearable to many. This is where I understand the Deavers shine.

Jage, what do you remember comparing the ride of mine to yours?

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
...we swapped vans to drive on asphalt. His has Deavers, mine has stock.
Oooh! Excellent data. I'd love to hear more comparison stories!
-- Geoff
Old 06-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #9

Does anyone know of a shop in Colorado or Utah that does Deaver Spring installations? My rig has the Quigley 4x4 conversion, and only has about 2" of up travel before bottoming out on the rubber frame stops. It seems to hit the stops more often than I would like. I checked a couple of other Quigleys and they have the same travel distance, so it seems to be the nature of the beast. I would sure like to have another 2" of travel. Any thoughts? I also wouldn't mind raising the rear a couple of inches to match the increased front lift. My rear is a 1/2" lower than the front right now with the stock suspension. We are on a 2 month trip and would consider getting the work done while out here. We're in Canon City, CO climbing right now.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #10

Steve,
Maybe a bit far for you to drive but The Spring Works in Grand Junction (970-242-4404) is very reputable. I have had them make some springs for my Xterra in the past and have been very satisfied. They are also going to rebuild my stock SMB springs when I get back from our trip in Aug.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote