Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAZ View Post
Well after the van has been in the shop for awhile now its looking like it is indeed an injector that has gone bad. Do to the time and labor cost Im still considering just changing them all out and be done with it. In our vans is it normal for them to change them while the engine is in or more common to pull the engine back out? I guess it can be done both ways but with the engine in, it seems like its a rough job?
No need to pull the engine. Passenger side is tight and the motor mount must be pulled to rotate the engine and be able to remove the valve cover. A good tech needs 6-8 hours max. Much easier than pulling the engine where the grill, radiator, AC condensor, trans cooler, etc comes off the van.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #12

It's much harder than the trucks but no reason for the engine to come out. Make sure they are replacing the injectors with Ford rebuilds and not a rebuild from alliant. If you can source them yourself you can save up to $100/injector. You can get them from Autonation ford for $200 ea.

Really at 50k you are low mileage for injectors. You might consider just doing all 4 in the passenger side and leave the others till later if you need to save some coin.

Make sure to do the dummy plugs and standpipe which are upgraded parts from Ford.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #13

Warren Diesel now has the Ford spool valves and gives 1 year warranty on injectors
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
Warren Diesel now has the Ford spool valves and gives 1 year warranty on injectors
That's good to know. I've only heard good things about Warrens. New Ford remans are the best shot at reliability. 6.0 fuel injector 2004-2010 from 9/22/03 (CN-5019-RM) note: sale price includes a refundable $180.00 core charge

$1500 for a set of 8: http://www.injectorsdirect.com/produ...emanufactured/
Old 02-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #15

I guess for some reason the motor mounts are welded on the frame and he thinks it will keep the engine from being able to lower down far enough out of the way. Im not sure if this was done on all SMBs or just some but it is a factory conversion from SMB. I will find out more tomorrow, his main Ford tech is the one that will make the call, I have faith in him doing the right thing, the service writer is a real good guy but not the daily wrench turner.
Tracey
Old 04-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #16

Ok, so its been awhile, been finding out a lot in the ways of 6.0 and mechanics.
The one issue that was supposed to be a problem "the welded motor mounts" That info was wrong. Yes the motor mounts are (the lower section) permanently secured, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was and is a plate that is welded on the frame, sort of a stiffing bracket that SMB installed. This plate, according to the mechanic was or is the reason they could not get the engine to lower down far enough to get access to the top of the valve cover to get at the injectors. Now personally Im not sure I believe the mechanic, I think it was more of a being lazy and not wanting to do the job. They did do the side with the bad injector. It does seem to be running just fine.
The reason I don't believe that this so called plate is a problem is someone other than myself would have already seen this. How many other folks have SMBs and have had injectors replaced on the drivers side? Please chime in and let me know.
Other than those injectors on the drivers side I don't think there has been anything not done to this engine! Everything has been updated, made new and replaced! Im running a mild tune and monitoring it all with the CTS edge gauge. So for now I'm going to drive it! Keep an eye on it all and hope that all the issues are gone and past.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #17

I think you mean the passenger or RH side (ie., injectors #1,3,5, 7)? Getting the valve cover off that side is no picnic. All the top end stuff has to come off and the downpipe disconnected. Then, loosen the engine mount, raise the engine, remove the mount, and lower the engine.

Anyhow, to answer your question I've now had all 8 replaced. Not sure I have the plate you speak of and am interested in hearing more about that. Got any pics of the offending plate/bracket that has the mechanic so bamboozled he's unable to do the job?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I think you mean the passenger or RH side (ie., injectors #1,3,5, 7)? Getting the valve cover off that side is no picnic. All the top end stuff has to come off and the downpipe disconnected. Then, loosen the engine mount, raise the engine, remove the mount, and lower the engine.

Anyhow, to answer your question I've now had all 8 replaced. Not sure I have the plate you speak of and am interested in hearing more about that. Got any pics of the offending plate/bracket that has the mechanic so bamboozled he's unable to do the job?

No the side that was done was the passenger side, I had a bad number 5 and while they were in there I had them replace all of them. The drivers side is the side that "they" told me was not possible to get to do to this plate.
Here are the photos of the "plate" It is standing up on end. Sorry I don't know how to do the fancy editing, I'm actually amazed I got the photos on here. Always so dang difficult with this site.
The plate is right under what I believe to be the transmission coolant lines? This plate was shown to Peter at SMB and he did confirm that it is a plate that they install for the conversion that they do.
Does everyone else have this plate? If so did anyone ever have the drivers side injectors replaced with this so called plate in the way? I seriously believe my mechanic is just being weird and for what ever reason didn't want to take my money. lol
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0916.jpg   IMG_0919.jpg  
Old 04-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #19

The plate notwithstanding none of this makes sense I mean that kindly and suspect your mechanic is a noob. Nothing needs to happen with regard to engine mounts, etc in order to remove the driver side valve cover to access the injectors.

Drivers side is the easy side with far less top end stuff to get out of the way. But none of the engine mount nonsense that goes on with the passenger side. Sorry not trying to be argumentative but you need a new mechanic. Give Jason a call at Frys Automotive in Flagstaff. 928-527-7573.

Family owned and they all teethed at Babbitt Ford.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
The plate notwithstanding none of this makes sense I mean that kindly and suspect your mechanic is a noob. Nothing needs to happen with regard to engine mounts, etc in order to remove the driver side valve cover to access the injectors.

Drivers side is the easy side with far less top end stuff to get out of the way. But none of the engine mount nonsense that goes on with the passenger side. Sorry not trying to be argumentative but you need a new mechanic. Give Jason a call at Frys Automotive in Flagstaff. 928-527-7573.

Family owned and they all teethed at Babbitt Ford.

No argument from me. LOL The time frame of all this was absolutely stupid. The van originally went in around early November, took about 3 1/2 months to do the original work, then when the injector failed it took another month and a half for that. The mechanic does have a good reputation for doing the work right but he has a HORRABLE reputation for being slow and full of excuses. Yes I do need a new mechanic, that at least can get it done in a normal amount of time. I just want to find someone a bit more local. Trying to run my own business and juggle family its hard to justify having to travel just to find a competent mechanic. So many diesels in my area someone other than the dealership and excuses have to be working on these somewhere. I'm on the search now locally if nothing turns up I will give them a call.