Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #41

Yeah, short drive cycles will do it for sure. No vehicle likes short drive cycles, but diesels are impacted by it the most. Not only are low-load combustion temps much lower than a gas engine, there's so much more engine mass and oil and coolant to heat up, it just takes so long for a full warm up anyways. No amount of bulletproofing will change that, short of maybe an engine pre-heater.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #42

Bad turbo.
Beside the excessive rust, pitting and soot the mating surface of where the unison ring sits is very dished out? Ive tried to educate myself a bit on these turbos just to know and none of the videos and literature shows that much dishing on that surface? Not sure what a rebuild able turbo should look like but Ive seen enough rust and nasty over the years to know when its time to buy new. Was told the unison ring would not move at all and from what I seen I believe them. On top of that the fan bearing was not smooth and wouldn't rotate well either. So I can only assume there was other issues deeper in the turbo as well, or just more carbon? I do know that the turbo that went bad was a ford re manufactured one from a previous owner of the van many years back, long before any updates for them ever came out.
Oh well rather this all happen and come out while at home vs being on the road. Seems like its in good hands now and the same mechanic was actually starting the same job on another 6.0
Any thoughts on what turbo I should get for it? Not looking for any land speed records to be set with the van or pulling records just something that works well.
Tracey
Old 06-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #43

Drive it like you stole it once in awhile to burn the carbon off and consider a turbo with a stainless steel unison ring down the road. KC turbo has a nice stage 1 drop-in replacement with a billet compressor wheel.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Drive it like you stole it once in awhile to burn the carbon off and consider a turbo with a stainless steel unison ring down the road. KC turbo has a nice stage 1 drop-in replacement with a billet compressor wheel.
New turbo going in (Garret) supposed to be better than stock and found #7 injector not preforming well. Over fueling, maybe that's what fouled the turbo out? I should be getting it back Monday, I will post details when I know what all the final stuff is.
As for getting on it, I do my best but the stinking cops around here and their revenue collecting ways for anyone violating their presious traffic laws is out of control. This entire town is a speed trap....ask me how I know. Lol. Seriously I'm done with anything over 3mph in this town and even that's pushing it. Lol
TraceyAZ
Old 06-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #45

One think to consider that I didn't see mentioned in this thread (or maybe I missed it) is type of motor oil. Some oils are better at controlling carbon build up than others, along with high temps, high pressures, and injector sticktion. I recently switched to Rotella T6 and my 6.0 seems much happier.
sscott3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscott3d View Post
One think to consider that I didn't see mentioned in this thread (or maybe I missed it) is type of motor oil. Some oils are better at controlling carbon build up than others, along with high temps, high pressures, and injector sticktion. I recently switched to Rotella T6 and my 6.0 seems much happier.
Always Rotella for me, what oil were you using?