Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #1

Differential as rear jack point?

I tried the search engine and google advanced search but came up empty on this one.

My Ford E250 manual says not to use the rear differential as a jack point (in bold). But that's just what the guys at Discount Tire did.

Is this an issue of stability or does it have the potential to damage the differential?

I already make them hand torque the lugs nuts on and I hate to be a pain for no reason. If it is just a stability issue, and they have a big floor jack, a long handle, a concrete floor, and lots of experience, then I am not so worried.

Thanks

Tom

bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Differential as rear jack point?

What! Tom you sure they didn't maybe just stick a jack there as a safety precaution. The pumpkin is tough but the cover isn't. I find it hard to believe they would jack up the vehicle like that. I wouldn't be happy at all. Never heard of anybody doing that but then again I aint no suspension guy either.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #3

It's ok, as long as they stay away from the diff cover. You're correct, it's a stability issue. Especially on a van that could be loaded heavy at either corner. I do it all the time. If the van is going to be up for more than a few minutes, I'll throw some jack stands under the axle for a little extra security.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #4

I do it on lighter rigs but the reason I shouldn't is because the axle tubes are pressed into the differential and only spot welded in. Look at all the leverage those tubes have with the weight of the rig on them when you jack from the diff. The diff is not made to carry weight on that junction then add the leverage from the pressed in tubes and you could tweek it.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpalump
I do it on lighter rigs but the reason I shouldn't is because the axle tubes are pressed into the differential and only spot welded in. Look at all the leverage those tubes have with the weight of the rig on them when you jack from the diff. The diff is not made to carry weight on that junction then add the leverage from the pressed in tubes and you could tweek it.
Good answer.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:

Good point, but pretty unlikely to see any damage as you're describing. If the axle can't support that weight, it probably shouldn't be under the van in the first place.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Quote:

Good point, but pretty unlikely to see any damage as you're describing. If the axle can't support that weight, it probably shouldn't be under the van in the first place.
I agree in almost any situation, but loaded, like with a flat on a trip, lifting the heavy van at the diff could be risky.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #8

I need to get a nanny cam for the van when I leave it with mechanics. No telling what unspeakable abuse it gets subjected to...

Thanks all.
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #9

"mechanicam"
Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote