Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #51

Garage
One of the things mentioned in the videos was the fact that there wasn't very good airflow over the external fins, so I think that the sides dropped down are probably to direct air over the fins. I agree that off road it may not be a good idea. It may not force enough air over the fins anyway if you are on a really rough road and not traveling very fast. Maybe the differential doesn't heat up that much in that situation.

wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:33 AM   #52
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Exactly. Gale Banks is first and foremost a businessman. It seems to me those videos are timed in their release, all part of marketing and product release, not because of video production time. My guess is new cast aluminum Banks covers are in the foundry, on-deck for machining, and ready for testing.
Being the cynic I am I'll bet the videos and new diff covers were completed before the first presentation was released on YouTube. I'm also sure no one is really surprised at the new product.

Being the sucker I am but having no need for any replacement diff cover it was still interesting seeing the testing and results.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #53
Orv

Garage
I'd think the heat generated would be proportional to the power expended, which is to say the speed and torque. So towing a trailer up a mountain grade at highway speed is probably a worst-case scenario as far as heat generation. OTOH there's lots of airflow at that speed, so it may not produce the highest temperatures.

I'm not entirely sure I see the need, though. Most vehicles seem to go their entire life without ever seeing a diff failure, without any additional cooling at all. I always assumed finned diff covers were a show item.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #54

My highest temps are:
1) Climbing steep highway passes at highway speeds (say 6% grade at 60 MPH @ 22,000 total weight)
2) Climbing very steep grades at lower speeds (12% at 30 MPH @25,000 total weight).

Outside ambient temp matters as well. I've only maxed out the temp gauge when its >100F.

I've turned the gears blue from heat, so the actual gear temp can get quite a bit hotter than the oil temp. Low speeds won't even warm it up, since you're not pushing that much HP through the diff at crawl speeds.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #55

Here is the next course of hors d'oeuvre still waiting for the steak and potatoes.

ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #56

And finally the results...

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #57

Garage
Interesting stuff, thanks for the follow up!

I’m sure mag hytec is thinking he’s a dick about now, lol. He’s done the research though. Cool to see all the how’s and why’s explained. Too bad there’s no ford options yet. At least not for the 10.5 sterling. Not much available for eseries period. At least not the years I looked for.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote