Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #11

Re: Do I need a new radiator or is this an easy fix?

Forgive me Sheriffdoug if I misunderstood your message about stop leak type products but I would not put anything other than coolant into a ford 6.0 Powerstroke. The passages in the oil cooler are tiny and a restriction in flow there would cause a cascading effect of failure. I wouldn't want someone who is new to the Ford 6.0 and has a small drip add something to their coolant as an easy fix. That could turn a couple hundred dollar radiator into a many thousand dollar head gasket project.

-Eric

ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot
Forgive me Sheriffdoug if I misunderstood your message about stop leak type products but I would not put anything other than coolant into a ford 6.0 Powerstroke. The passages in the oil cooler are tiny and a restriction in flow there would cause a cascading effect of failure. I wouldn't want someone who is new to the Ford 6.0 and has a small drip add something to their coolant as an easy fix. That could turn a couple hundred dollar radiator into a many thousand dollar head gasket project.

-Eric
Times two on that Eric!!!

Doug you're throwing too much into that engine to use that. I guess if it's a high enough priority maybe. I had a wire loom cut loose that got tangled in the fan and ripped a hole in my radiator. I used the water out of my potable water tank to get me to a spot where the tow was able to meet me. Thankfully I had installed a threaded fixture on the sink tap and was able to keep enough water in the rig to get me to a safe spot. That is the only time I've used that flat water hose SMB gave me. Pins and needles that day.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #13

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been busy, but not having to drive the van. I'll try tightening and then Teflon tape, in that order.

BTW, Sheriffdoug, I think there's an extra S in your URL. Shouldn't it be http://www.performanceradiator.com?

I thought about BarsLeak, but didn't want to resort to that if I didn't have to.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #14

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been busy, but not having to drive the van. I'll try tightening and then Teflon tape, in that order.

BTW, Sheriffdoug, I think there's an extra S in your URL. Shouldn't it be http://www.performanceradiator.com?

I thought about BarsLeak, but didn't want to resort to that if I didn't have to.

The Bar's Leak is an absolute emergency, when there is no other solution and your in the middle of nowhere!

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix
Not the expert mechanic here...looking for advice.

Engine: 2008 6.0 with about 59K miles. Probably has the factory coolant in it...I know I've never changed it since we bought it 2.5 years ago.

I noticed a small damp spot on the driveway. Following it upward, I see that both fittings that go into the bottom front of the radiator are leaking a little. The picture is of the driver side one, and the passenger side looks about the same.

Can I drain it, undo the hoses, unscrew the fittings from the radiator and apply a sealant? If so, what sealant should I use? Or is there an O-ring?

G'day,

Carry a bottle of Bar's Leaks http://www.barsleaks.com just in case as insurance.

Cheers Doug

NO NO NO on the Bars leak if you have a diesel.

It will clog the oil coolers and cost you way more than just a radiator.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug

The Bar's Leak is an absolute emergency, when there is no other solution and your in the middle of nowhere!
Gas motor sure. Ford 6.0? No way. You'll plug the engine oil cooler in minutes. Maybe seconds. EGR cooler will rupture shortly after that. And there's no way to get that stuff out once its in.

Quick set epoxy is a much better option for an emergency fix. I've use "JB Stick" on my radiator (which split across the top like a sausage) and that actually held up fine for hundreds of miles.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #17

PS - Nothing wrong with trying to tighten those fittings. In my experience that often doesn't work long-term, so you might want to start saving up for a replacement.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #18

Do I have the same problem?

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17201

In my case it is transmission fluid.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #19

As long as this is a thread on radiators, permission requested to chime in my 2004 E350 6.0 PSD.

if you are having radiator issues, you should think about flushing your coolant system entirely and dumping the Ford Gold and switching to a CAT ELC rated coolant. The diesel forums like FTE will give you all the info that you need on how to do a correct flush.

I may need a new radiator and I cannot get enough information in the Ford Truck Forums as the diesel van is rare in those communities.

I did a complete coolant flush, clean, and added new coolant diluted with distilled water. I changed my sticking thermostat and replaced with a Ford 192 degree OEM.

My ECT & EOT track approximately 6-10 degrees apart. I noticed that when the ambient temperature rises above 70 degrees, both the ECT & EOT rise past the thermostat rating when driving a long grade. It's not been hotter than 82 degrees and my ECT went up to 215 degrees. I have owned this van for only 2 months and I don't know what "normal" is.

I was thinking that the radiator is not doing a good job cooling and that I need a new all aluminum radiator. I have the factory OEM plastic/aluminum radiator for $300 or less is an inexpensive repair.

Can anyone driving the 6.0 PSD tell me what temperature you see?
coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #20

@ShuttlePilot,

I am new to the 6.0. Did you follow and Youtube or online methods for R&R of the radiator? I want to upgrade to an all aluminum radiator on my van and noticed the photo and link to Performance Radiator. It's hard to find a direct replacement all aluminum for this van. The price is right and cheap insurance for protecting the cooling system. I am under the 15 degree suggested spec for EOT-ECT and want to keep it that way. Need to search coolant filters as some are bypass and some are "direct" or claim full filtration.

Regards,

Mark
coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote