Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #21

Re: Do I need a new radiator or is this an easy fix?

A coolant filter is a good idea for anyone with a 6.0. Personally, I don't think an aluminum radiator is going to lower your temps much. It will last longer for sure and is less prone to cracking. I'll probably get the Performance version if and when mine cracks or leaks but I'm not sure I would to it as part of "bulletproofing" per say.

There are other, more effective ways to get rid of the heat. Just my opinion of course but the vans definitely run hotter than the trucks. An EOT of 230F is not that unusual in my rig. The cooling fan doesn't even kick in until ECT reaches 224F.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #22

Garage

Hello.

Plastic is an insulator. Metals radiate. Hence Radiator. Some metals better than others. With an all Aluminium radiator, bigger area to diassapate the heat. Thats why wire/metal is used for electricity. Plastic is used as a sheild. So, plastic will sheild the heat into you radiator.

Get an all Aluminium radiator at Performance Radiator.

These engine bays of ours are very Airflow restrictive, so that's why the the Hood Louvers, The Air Scoop under the front bumper, EGR Delete & the Aluminium Radiator.

See my photo gallery for more images.

Just my 2 cents worth!
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #23

All righty then but show me some data that the aluminum radiator actually lowers temps in a cooling system. I haven't found actual empirical data in the diesel forums. The OEM version has has plastic side tanks but the part with the cooling fins is still metal. Just for discussion sake but this idea that you have to have an all aluminum radiator is pure bunk. It's all about durability and longevity. And they look cool.

Now, I happen to agree about the Ford Gold coolant and also switched to an ELC. But be very aware that unless you do a proper flush you can do more damage than good, especially wrt to clogging the oil cooler.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #24

Wow this thread has taken on a life of its own. We could probably spin off several threads on the various debates on what is best, Aluminum vs Plastic, Ginger vs Maryann, stock vs low temp thermostat, types of coolant filtration, and on. Regarding the project of changing the radiator, the crux of the project for me was removing the fan off of the water pump. I didn't find a video of R/R a rad in a van exactly but I did find videos of it done in trucks. My van was very similar except that the forward fan shroud (part attached to the radiator) on mine is in two pieces(upper and lower halves). The rear shroud (the one attached to the block) and fan removal is the same as on trucks. Here is a video of DieselTechRon digging down to the water pump on a truck to possibly help. Ron uses an air chisel to loosen the fan nut which is probably the preferred method but I had to resort to more mid evil methods. Torch, ice water and a pipe wrench. Please don't judge me.

[youtube:teowiurn]
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #25

Welcome to the forum Shuttlepilot! Once you get past the forum vampires there's a small but solid core of enthusiasts that really make it a great forum to spend time and find and provide information.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #26

A bit off topic but has anyone actually posted before/after temperatures of the hood louver modification. I've seen several people update their vans on the forum but I do not recall anyone actually stating that it made any difference.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #27

sdwindansea a very reasonable question. It would be cool to be able to dyno under load in a wind tunnel a before and after hood louvers. My experience has been that before the hood louvers my temps were always within normal limits however she always seemed to be working hard to maintain normal temps. For example the fan would cycle even if the ambient temp was 60*f or the A/C wouldn't be cold unless the fan was engaged and the transmission cooler fan would run constantly. It just seemed like all the temps would rocket to upper normal and then the fan turned on. I had an idea that the hood/doghouse was creating a high pressure zone that was stagnate air unless the fan was engaged.

So to test the theory I took the hood off.

Then drove known roads in familiar conditions and the difference was huge. All the temps were still within normal limits but the fan never engaged, the A/C was a consistent cold temp and also when I park the engine doesn't heat the interior for hours and hours. So I installed the louvers. The openings aren't as free flowing as not having a hood but it is surprisingly close. Now it seems like temps will cruse up to center normal and if needed the fan will assist.

I'll offer up a relaxing video not van specific but at the heart of the heat challenge we face with our vans.
[youtube:2fs9mv2s]
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:18 AM   #28
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot
Wow this thread has taken on a life of its own. We could probably spin off several threads on the various debates on what is best, Aluminum vs Plastic, Ginger vs Maryann, stock vs low temp thermostat, types of coolant filtration, and on.
Well in the TV world it was Maryann all the way for me..........!

And yes this thread has taken a very interesting new direction(s) but I'm wondering if Photographix ever fixed his original problem?
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:29 PM   #29

Garage

Quote:
sdwindansea a very reasonable question. It would be cool to be able to dyno under load in a wind tunnel a before and after hood louvers. My experience has been that before the hood louvers my temps were always within normal limits however she always seemed to be working hard to maintain normal temps. For example the fan would cycle even if the ambient temp was 60*f or the A/C wouldn't be cold unless the fan was engaged and the transmission cooler fan would run constantly. It just seemed like all the temps would rocket to upper normal and then the fan turned on. I had an idea that the hood/doghouse was creating a high pressure zone that was stagnate air unless the fan was engaged.

So to test the theory I took the hood off.

Then drove known roads in familiar conditions and the difference was huge. All the temps were still within normal limits but the fan never engaged, the A/C was a consistent cold temp and also when I park the engine doesn't heat the interior for hours and hours. So I installed the louvers. The openings aren't as free flowing as not having a hood but it is surprisingly close. Now it seems like temps will cruse up to center normal and if needed the fan will assist.

I'll offer up a relaxing video not van specific but at the heart of the heat challenge we face with our vans.
[youtube:17aefv0w]
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Quote:
Wow this thread has taken on a life of its own. We could probably spin off several threads on the various debates on what is best, Aluminum vs Plastic, Ginger vs Maryann, stock vs low temp thermostat, types of coolant filtration, and on.
Well in the TV world it was Maryann all the way for me..........!

And yes this thread has taken a very interesting new direction(s) but I'm wondering if Photographix ever fixed his original problem?
I agree, this is all very interesting. And I am also wondering if Todd has fixed his leak.

As I noted earlier in this thread, I am having the same problem. I've tightened the nut on mine a few times but the leak does not stop for long. So thanks to all the great input on this thread, I ordered the Performance Radiator all aluminum replacement radiator on Wednesday night and it already arrived.

First impression is really good. Everything looks very well assembled and soldered, all the tabs and mounting brackets looks to be right (of course I won't know for sure until I do the swap).

The only stupid thing is this "WARNING" Warranty Void on the top of the box.

Just how am I supposed to prove that I flushed the entire cooling system and refilled with 50/50 blah-blah-blah? Do I have to video myself doing this whole project? Non of the mechanics that posted videos on Youtube flushed the entire cooling systems.
Seems to me like Performance Radiator is just looking for a way to not have to warranty anything.

Not sure if I will have time this weekend to install it but I will let you know how it all works out when I do.

I have no expectations that this will lower my coolant temps. I'm sure that just having the plastic portion of the radiator replaced with aluminum isn't going to make a noticeable difference.

To cool things off a bit more, I plan on adding 2 small auxiliary radiator on either side of the front bumper. Just like several of the Porsche, Audi and BMW have, just in front of the tires. I have been thing about this for a very long time and after watching that video about cooling systems that Eric posted, I think it's time for some R&D. I'm going to start with one of these heater cores out of the E350. Eventually I may end out with something a bit larger but for now I'll see if I notice a difference with this. I'll start a separate thread on this. I could use some help on several aspects of this and I know some of you out there have a lot more knowledge about this stuff then I do.

Cheers,
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote