Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #11

Garage
Re: E series tires

Pat, be sure to take your earplugs!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #12

Nice thing about the diesel engine is that you don't need to consider tire noise when picking tires! I have been running the BFG mudders on my gas vanagon for a while now. They get louder as they get more wear on them but they are quieter than I had expected.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #13

Garage

MY PROBLEM IS:

The largest tire that BFG makes in the A/T KO style that is E rated is the LT285/75R16/E.

I run 315/75/16. There is NO E rated tire available in the size. That MUST be why SMB gave me D rated tires on my new build.

AAAARRRggghhhhh!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #14

I'm very happy with the Nitto Terra Grapplers I have in 285/70 17E.

If I bought tires today, I would buy these BFG 255/80 17E. It's a tall skinny tire.

Re: E-rated vs. D-rated - Seems to me E-rated tires have advantages over D-rated tires. First of all, ALL E350 Ford vans come with E-rated tires. E-rated tires are tougher with thicker, stiffer sidewalls, and therefore a firmer ride with less sway. It just seems counter intuitive to me to then reduce the van's recommended tire capability after adding a couple thousand+ pounds of equipment to the vehicle. IMHO

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #15

Garage

The Nitto Terra Grapplers are rated for 3750#.

Interesting to see my BFG 315's rated D have the same load rating as the BFG 255/80-17's rated E.

From the BFG chart:

LT315/75R16/D 121Q 3195 lbs. @50 PSI
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #16

Jeffery,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Wrangler DuraTracs in size 315/75/16. I've read enough reviews and talked to a couple of shops that have put them on and early reports are positive. Its a new tire that just came out but like I said, it meets the needs I'm looking for which is: E rated, aggresive tread and quiet road noise based on the reviews. I assume that the ride will be a little firmer which I guess I can live with (given the additional piece of mind) and will probably just push me closer to the Dever upgrade.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #17

So I have a few more freeway miles on these now. Are they louder than the A/T's? Yes. But it is more of a hum, much more pronounced at 70 than at 60. Imperceptable around town below 35 as the engine is louder. They are much quieter than the old style KM's on my Jeep Comanche 4x4. I'm going to Black Canyon Hot Springs area below Hoover dam this weekend so will have a road report later.

I think it looks good and I will use them in the desert for what they are designed for!

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #18

Well, I got the new boots installed on the Death Star today. Goodyear Wrangler Dura-Tracs, 315/75/16, E-Rated.

Based on my first 40 mile opinion I have no idea why I didn't die on the old D-Rated tires. Its amazing how much better the van handles on the road. No more squishy, mushy, leany van. Since I drive the canyon roads around here (Malibu Cyn, Kanan, Etc) I know the difference between a mushy van and a tight cornering van and with these new Keds I can definately tell the difference.

I would have to say the initial, limited experience review would be that I did NOT notice a partcularly harsh ride. Actually no change on the highway/street from the BFG All Terrain T/A's. Noise was no different from what I could tell (although it was raining) I didn't notice it so that's good.

The better stability was clearly noticable, you don't have to actively ride herd on the van while driving it.

I will be heading to the Eastern Sierra and washboards, etc and I'm fearful that the "enhanced" ride on the street/hwy is going to translate into bone-crushing results on washboard but we'll see.

We are also taking a 1k+ mile trip in Nov so will have better reviews by then.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #19

Garage

Hey Bryan,

Raining in LA?? Amazing! It's raining here in Santa Barbara today, too.

Were you able to find out how many plies the sidewalls have? I use BFG A/T's for sidewall strength. If you've had a rock shear your sidewall with a lesser tire (deep in Death Valley), you will always ask this.

I expect you to air down substantially for those eastern california washboards. Let us know what pressures you area running on and off road. Have fun!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #20

From the best I can tell through my research they are 10ply (like most e rated tires) and I had them put them up to maximum pressure to start with (80lbs) and for the road I may stick with that or just a bit lower. As far as airing down the manager of the tire shop called Goodyear and asked it they had a "deflation guide" or anythng similar and the rep he talked to said "they do not give out or recommend that information". Lawyers. Anyway, I'll experiment a little and see what I come up with but it will take a while to dial it in and see what is tolerable and keep an eye (and thermometer) on them.