Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #11

I agree with Orv. On most vehicles the engine rotates CCW as viewed from the rear. Because of this, the torque reaction on the live rear axle tries to lift the RH rear side of the axle, unloading the right side tire. All things being equal, with no LSD, the RH rear tire will break free first.

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #12

...unless you're trying to back up.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #13

Good info here! As many have said, I guess it’s the idea that one will break free first that always made me assume that there was one primary drive wheel. It’s always seemed to me that the passenger rear wheel would spin out when getting stuck with non-LSD rear.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #14
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
...unless you're trying to back up.
Yeah, and other weird stuff happens then. For example, backing up on loose surfaces sometimes causes wheel hop in these vans, in my experience, which is something I've never experienced when going forward. Traction in reverse also seems much worse.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #15

So to drill a bit further... What would work best if I wanted to alter my current Open Diff to better operate/navigate backcountry roads and trails, LSD or Lockers? In a 2wd van. I'm trying to upgrade my currently stock 2008 Ford E150/Pleasure Way Traverse

The current list for improvement is:

4" lift (Utilizing Agile Offorad or Weldtec)
Rear Spring Pack, Fox shx, etc.

17's w/bfg a/t's

90/10 rule applies, still gotta get there... usually around 300 miles each way.

Haven't found a thread detailing anyones work yet.

Thanks!
(Stock pics in my album)
TRAVRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #16

I realize your E150 won't have a full float axle,
but my below post from another thread is otherwise relevant to your situation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I weighed out the options with my lifted 2wd EB and decided that going with the Detroit was MY best option, but I only see LIGHT snow a couple times a year at best. I've owned my share of open diff, limited slip, auto locker, and selectable locker equipped vehicles and I would indeed avoid an auto locker if icy conditions were the norm... things get "exciting" real quick! Like you, I see much more dry/rocky/sandy conditions so snow/ice driving characteristics were not even factored into my decision.

That being said, both ARB and E-locker are good units and if you are willing to spend the extra coin, I wouldn't turn either down. The E-locker will require you to buy new 35 spline axle shafts (like the Detroit, they do not offer a 32 spline version) so by the time you factor that in (about $300-$350), it is +/- the same price as the ARB (which DOES have a 32 spline version) including the compressor.

I personally don't think a limited slip is even worth the effort in a 2wd that will be used offroad, if you float a wheel and need to use heavy throttle, you're stuck. That's the same reason I went with mud terrains even though an all terrain would be preferred 90% of the time. That little bit of extra traction can make (and has made) the difference between getting through or a difficult extraction. We don't get plan B of locking the hubs and trying again!

Beyond that, your plan B ends up being airing down your tires and/or winching. Airing down will help prevent you from getting stuck in the first place, winching only helps to get you un-stuck. Having on-board air starts looking like a good option vs driving 50 miles on the highway at extra low air presures just to find a place to air up, so maybe the expense shouldn't be added to the ARB since it would be a good idea to have regardless of what locker you're running.

Just trying to throw in a few more factors to consider for your big picture.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #17

TRAVRSS - does your Pleasureway have RSC? It was optional with the RV-prep package. If yes, you have a full float. Good for strength, but less locker options.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #18

Thanks for the replies! I'm challenged in the tech abilities so have to look up some terms to decipher.

RSC = Roll Stability Control I've learned.

The gentleman at Pleasure Way told me that all they do is receive the vans from Ford with the RV Package, and then build them out. But I cant find anywhere in the paperwork that it has RSC. There was one stabilizer bar when I purchased, and I immediatley had to add one to the other end and upgrade the shocks just to keep it on the road. Semi's were pushing me out of my lane.. Now the rear springs are flat and its time to do some work. Seems that it's too much weight to carry on a constant basis without some upgrades.

Next, full float axle. I'm not sure what this is yet.. When I called Ford they said by the door codes that I had an Open diff. I'm trying to learn on the fly, so Thank You folks for the info. Chasing rabbits.
TRAVRSS is offline   Reply With Quote