Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: E250 Brake Upgrade Finished Now With Photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
PS - don't forget to bed-in the brakes to get the most out of them.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...ake-pad-bed-in
Interesting article but it would be nice to know how to create that transfer layer. I didn't read anything specific how it can be best accomplished.

As for what 16" aftermarket wheels would fit my guess is if they back sides are configured like the steel versions there shouldn't be any issues. I'm not familiar with anything other than stock 16" steel wheels however.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #12

I did the same upgrade back in May and now have 9,000 miles on the swap. I did a complete front swap though, brakes and suspension. So far so good. For wheels I got a set of OEM Ford 16" alloys from a 2012 van (same van I got the parts from).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
JWA

Brian how many miles on your van before the swap?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Brian how many miles on your van before the swap?
1998 E250 EB SMB with 76,000 when I did the swap.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
PS - don't forget to bed-in the brakes to get the most out of them.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...ake-pad-bed-in
Interesting article but it would be nice to know how to create that transfer layer. I didn't read anything specific how it can be best accomplished.
Oops should have given this link too:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-system-bed-in

Cliff notes: Do a series of higher-speed hard stops without coming to a complete stop
Old 11-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #16
JWA

Thanks CarringB---the second link adds to the whole knowledge base and makes a lot of sense.

As with so many things mechanical now that the fronts are finished the rear pads and rotors seem to need attention too---it never ends!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #17
JWA

Bumping this up for a brief update.............

After about 6 weeks into this swap I've got to say its one of the best upgrades ever! Despite rear brakes needing done there's quite a confident feeling when pushing the brake pedal now. Even though I'm running somewhat close to my max rated GVW (on horrible Firestone tires) I have no doubt I'm able to stop quicker and more surely than with the stock '03 E250 brakes.

Next up will be new Moog front coils and perhaps a leaf added to the rear springs, Michelin LTX tires and alignment. I'm looking forward to that level of improved handling.

Anyone thinking of this swap, whether lucky enough to find a complete front suspension or assemble parts as I did its well worth the cost.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Anyone thinking of this swap, whether lucky enough to find a complete front suspension or assemble parts as I did its well worth the cost.
Brakes are always worth the costs! Most people realize that at least AFTER their first crash.

I moved from Iveco 40.10 (4x4 4 ton truck) to Ford. I once almost did not managed to brake downhill to slow down the truck to get into an highway downhill. From 70mph to 20mph. After that I knew this is not what I ever want to ever happen again.
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #19

Since this thread came up again now....

I had the complete front swap done at Quadvan a couple of months ago (1998 E-350, 60,xxx miles), so I now have a complete 2014 take-off front end/brakes. I went into it because I felt the vehicle was "under-braked." 1998 is the last year for rear drums, for whatever that is worth (OTOH, my previous 1997 E-250 SMB with the same brakes seemed fine -- but it was quite a bit lighter). The suspension upgrades/new parts were just a side bonus. I am more than pleased with the results (and the reasonable cost plus impeccable service at Quadvan). Wow, it's a whole new vehicle in the stopping department! Great brakes now.

While I was at it I put on a Roadmaster front anti-sway bar. Nice improvement. I also put on a rear Roadmaster anti-sway bar. UGH, that made the rear suspension super harsh and shook things off the walls that hadn't ever budged before (so not just my imagination!). Did some experimenting with various front/rear combinations and ended up keeping the front Roadmaster bar and removing the rear Roadmaster bar and replacing that with a stock Ford E-450 rear bar from a junkyard (IIRC, the Roadmaster rear bar is 1-1/2" diameter and the Ford one is 1" diameter -- my rig had no rear bar in stock configuration). This seemed to be the best combination of "more fun and better" handling without making the rear suspension harsher. It IS a lot better/more fun than it was in stock trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I did the same upgrade back in May and now have 9,000 miles on the swap. I did a complete front swap though, brakes and suspension. So far so good. For wheels I got a set of OEM Ford 16" alloys from a 2012 van (same van I got the parts from).
I had been thinking of going to ALCOA wheels (I have the stock 16" steel wheels now) and hadn't even thought of them not fitting with the new front end parts. Are the OEM Ford alloys ALCOA, do you know? I'm wondering if this means that ALCOA's would fit? (In case I could not find take-offs like you used.)

Actually the main reason (besides cost) that I put off going to aluminum wheels is that it sounds like it creates some complications with the Tireman extended valve stems I have (I have a dually now). So I instead bought two new/reconditioned Ford steel rims to try to cure a vibration that doesn't seem to be anything else (which is also why I was considering aluminum rims).

So anyway, not sure if I will go to ALCOA aluminum rims, but it would be nice to be able to "file away" the info on whether or not they *would* fit.

And to anyone considering the front end swap: I certainly had a good experience doing it at Quadvan and am thrilled with the very noticeable improvement in braking (btw, my previous brakes were all healthy and working properly, yet were still "meager").

Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #20

Alcoa is the OEM manufacturer of the Ford aluminum wheels.