Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
EGT/exhaust question

I've had header heat wrapping tape covering my exhaust from the engine turbo down about 2' for several years which has caused not problems on my 6.0, but today I applied the tape all the way to where the clamp is that connects the converter to the upper engine exhaust. I did this to shield heat from blasting my transmission.

Does anybody see a problem with this?

I've used the tape for years on other vehicles and never had any problems including rusting out the exhaust pipe(s).

I'm slightly worried about covering this short 2' section of pipe and having it cause an unforeseen problem with the turbo and higher exhaust gas temps.

Any pro or cons?

Thanks...Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #2

Re: EGT/exhaust question

After the turbo you shouldn't have any problems. The problems I heard about with header wraps were right out of the exhaust port. The headers get too hot, and the heat cannot escape, so the metal goes away. After the turbo the temps should be low enough to avoid any issues.

BTW, don't come looking for me if it turns out I'm wrong!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #3

Dave,
I have considered this option for my exhaust after being told by the boy's at Banks that this should assist the scavenging effect needed to pull heat out of the engine . I also asked them if they felt that this would aid the Transmission temperatures from the reflected heat and they replied that it sure couldn't hurt . I just haven't got around to doing this yet . I do know that the addition of the 4" exhaust that Zylstra's installed has reduced my operating temperatures overall , and especially when pulling the 24' Bay Ranger . What make or brand tape did you use ?
Greggd
P.S. did you use the 2" or 3" tape ?
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggd
Dave,
I have considered this option for my exhaust after being told by the boy's at Banks that this should assist the scavenging effect needed to pull heat out of the engine . I also asked them if they felt that this would aid the Transmission temperatures from the reflected heat and they replied that it sure couldn't hurt . I just haven't got around to doing this yet . I do know that the addition of the 4" exhaust that Zylstra's installed has reduced my operating temperatures overall , and especially when pulling the 24' Bay Ranger . What make or brand tape did you use ?
Greggd
P.S. did you use the 2" or 3" tape ?
Gregg, I used the 2" Thermo Tec but the older stuff was Moroso 3". What is the scavenging effect? Yesterday I did a long highway drive and the EGT was normal of even lower. Usually it takes a minute or so a idle to drop the temp below the 500 mark but it seemed to drop faster. I must admit it was a cooler day though.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #5

Dave ,
I didn't know what they meant either until it was explained to me . I think that you will get a much better explanation from Wikipedia than I could ever provide . It all sounded very reasonable to me and over the years have noticed a good number of vehicles with big Rump Te Dump engines with their Headers wrapped .
Greggd
Old 04-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I've never heard of such a thing:

Heat wrap

Header wrap and a turbo boot give your exhaust housing more of the heat it needs to make boost. Your turbo will spool faster, make more boost, and improve efficiency. This helps to spool the turbo faster and increase manifold pressure. It also reduces under-hood temperatures. We also have header wrap to wrap the exhaust pipe where it exits the turbo. Turbo Boots: What are they and why do they work? Why does keeping your exhaust system insulated allow for a cooler running engine? We all should know that restriction in the exhaust system will rob the engine of performance but why do we want to keep the turbine housing and exhaust pipes insulated? After we realized the benefits of insulating the turbine housing, we were informed that we should wrap the first three feet of exhaust pipe from the turbo. Well, that seemed simple enough to us and we will always try anything that will enhance performance without sacrificing engine life or fuel mileage. So, we ordered a box of header wrap and on the end of the box was a paragraph titled; "How does it work"? One thing that is commonly overlooked by most racers is the matter of heat retention in the exhaust pipes. We have to remember that as soon as the combusted gases leave the combustion chamber they start to cool down. As they cool they lose velocity and the scavenging effect is reduced. If the temperature of the gases inside the pipes is kept as high as possible the net effect will be greater velocity, greater pressure drop in the system and higher efficiency. Very recently we have experimented with heat retention materials to improve the efficiency of exhaust systems. These shields retain heat in the exhaust pipes so the exhaust velocity remains very high. This will improve the scavenging effect. This is from Smokey Yunicks Chevy engine guide in Hot Rod magazines high-performance series. For those of you who were hot rodders from the 60s and 70s, you must recognize the name Smokey Yunick.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #7

Dave ,
I take it that you and old Smokey think that it would be a worthwhile endeavor , it seems that
if one reduces Engine Bay Temps the Intake is able to function more efficiently if nothing else !
Greggd