Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 94
Engine Guru's Please Help

Recently got an Excursion with 6.0 powerstroke as a project. It needs a new oil cooler. The delta's are @ 30F. I wanted to make sure the head gasket is fine so running a cooling sustem pressure test.

Loaned a fuel pressure guage from autozone and connected it as a T at the overflow tank(see pic). Did a 30 min run running at operating temps and did some WOT's as well. The pressure stayed at 10PSI. I'm thinking that my heads are fine.

But someone said that I should do the measurement with a guage with smaller range (0 - 30 PSI) for more accuracy. The guage I used is caliberated (0-100PSI), please see pic.

Do you think i should repeat the test with lower pressure guage?

Some related info: My overflow tank doesn't puke, vehicle doesn't over heat I have an external digital guage for monitoring EOT, ECT. No visible smoke out the tail pipe.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1537567403394.jpg   IMG_20180921_123603.jpg  
__________________

karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ShuttlePilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 373
Hi Karma, sorry to hear your having issues. I realize this guy has his critics but just wanted to pass on another approach to testing 6.0 headgaskets that are passing compression into the coolant system.

- Eric

__________________

__________________
2005 SMB RB 4x4 6.0 PSD
A rocket on the pad is safe,
but it's not what rockets are built for.
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
Hi Karma, sorry to hear your having issues. I realize this guy has his critics but just wanted to pass on another approach to testing 6.0 headgaskets that are passing compression into the coolant system.

- Eric

Eric,

That's exactly i how did my test. My question is around the guage to use. Mine is 0-100 PSI. Someone told me I should use 0-15 or 30 PSI for more accurate readings.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ShuttlePilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 373
Somehow I missed the WOT part of your procedure. Yes, if it was my van I would repeat test with a 0-30 psi or better a 0-15 gauge. Also I would use a coolant cap I was positive was holding up to 16+ psi and not just relieving at 10. Thus a false gasket are good reading. I bring up the cap because Iíve had two new out of the box caps only hold 4psi beef getting a good one.

-Eric
__________________
2005 SMB RB 4x4 6.0 PSD
A rocket on the pad is safe,
but it's not what rockets are built for.
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
JWA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 1,801
Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
Somehow I missed the WOT part of your procedure. Yes, if it was my van I would repeat test with a 0-30 psi or better a 0-15 gauge. Also I would use a coolant cap I was positive was holding up to 16+ psi and not just relieving at 10. Thus a false gasket are good reading. I bring up the cap because Iíve had two new out of the box caps only hold 4psi beef getting a good one.

-Eric
I think AutoZone, Advance Auto et al have cooling system pressure testers available for loan or rent. I bought a gently used Stant system and added Ford-specific adapters to test the cap and degas bottle. Next up will be those to test fuel caps.

I was relieved to know my new Motorcraft cap was indeed holding 16psi. Not an often-used tool for me but having one is a relief all its own.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
oil cooler

If you decide to replace your oil cooler I think you should completely clean your coolant system and add a coolant filter before you replace the oil cooler. My 6.0 was running way to hot delta t between EOC and EOT were very concerning. I believe I have resolved the problem with out replacing the oil cooler by doing a multiple stage involved flush of the coolant system. I donít think it makes sense to replace the oil cooler with out first cleaning your coolant. I can detail the process I went through if you are interested.
lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:47 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
If you decide to replace your oil cooler I think you should completely clean your coolant system and add a coolant filter before you replace the oil cooler. My 6.0 was running way to hot delta t between EOC and EOT were very concerning. I believe I have resolved the problem with out replacing the oil cooler by doing a multiple stage involved flush of the coolant system. I donít think it makes sense to replace the oil cooler with out first cleaning your coolant. I can detail the process I went through if you are interested.
Thank you, yes I've been flushing it(driving it till operating temp, drain and refill).... have done like 7 times so far. Will do some more until i get clean fluid coming out used DAWN Dishwashing liquid too.

Will be doing the heads too, truck runs fine no overheating but when i pressure tested the cooling system, i noticed exhaust pressure at WOT in cooling system. Have no other symptoms.
__________________

karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.