Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Re: EOT & ECT - Too Hot?

Thanks guys for the answers. Seems that my temps are a little high as I thought. First step is to have my mechanic check the temps with a tool that may be more accurate than a scan gauge. I will then move on to other scenarios if he also deems it too high. I just don't want to run too hot for too long as cause a bigger problem. I figure the higher temps may also be causing the lower MPG. Is that possible?

Old 01-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #12

Garage

Make sure you have good airflow to the radiator. Looks like you have an Aluminess bumper which is more restrictive than stock. Any big lights? Other stuff blocking air flow? Is the radiator fairly clean (bugs, mud etc)?
Old 01-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBUNCH
I just don't want to run too hot for too long as cause a bigger problem. I figure the higher temps may also be causing the lower MPG. Is that possible?
No, diesels are actually far more efficient running hot. They don't do well at all cold which is why they come with a high idle switch. Regular idle does little to warm the motor up when it's cold.

Mishimoto just came out with a 200F thermostat which is getting a lot of attention for the diesel bois. I haven't heard a magic number for EOT because if it gets hot enough the motor shuts down. The red flag is when EGTs are maintained over 1300 or 1400 F for more than a few minutes.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #14

I run much cooler on all mearsurements too, I do change the coolant every 12 mo, under pressure at Valvoline and are always troubled by the dirty look of the old coolant. Probably should be thinking on a filter one of these days...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

I'm surprised how the scan gauge reads as compared to true gauges like my autometer gauges. Not that the scan gauge isn't fairly accurate but it seems to average the reads. For instance the swing of the ECT when the fan kicks on is fast on the auto meter gauge compared to the scan gauge even though the probes are close to each other according to the shop that installed them. The Scan gauge never reads the true upper or lower temps unless I'm on a flat run at a constant speed and throttle. Then it's pretty close.

As far as running hot, is the fan kicking on correctly? It makes a huge difference on my van.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #16

The only time I had issues with the ECT was when my fan clutch was going out. Amazingly, the temps were better when pulling up a steep grade with the AC on. Turning on the AC uses a different algorithm for the fan clutch.

Oh, there was another time when I overheated - when I first installed my custom bumper. It interfered with airflow to the bottom 1/3 of my radiator. I drilled about a dozen 2" holes in the bumper to improve airflow and get back to stock temperature levels.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #17

Garage

Good thread on this subject

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11664&hilit=bumper
Old 01-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #18

boy howdy, I want hood louvers but I'd have to find someone to do it. Not sure I am mentally up to the challenge of cutting holes in the hood.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

With my louvers cut in I noticed a big drop in temps on the transmission but the coolant temps still climb high on a uphill grade like before. One thing for sure is the average running EOT's/ECT's temps are lower due to the louvers. Maybe I'm wrong but I think you really need to do something like adding an additional oil cooler to help with high end EOT's when climbing steep grades. Of course my Aluminess bumper doesn't help either. Another issue is probably the power tune causing my higher temps as well. The fan does kick on more often with the tune I'm running. On a grade in cool air temps the ECT will run up to 220 where the fan kicks on and it drops quickly to about 195 and starts the climb again. The EOT's just lag the ECT's on the way up and down yet rarely have more than a 12 degree spread.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Maybe I'm wrong but I think you really need to do something like adding an additional oil cooler to help with high end EOT's when climbing steep grades.
There are no additional oil coolers. Only replacements that externally cool the oil. $2000 parts and probably more than that in labor. Honestly, with a healthy coolant system there is nothing wrong with the OEM oil cooler. It works as it was designed to if it's not clogged up.

Engine oil is going to get hot. It's getting tortured in a diesel. I think it is more important to watch your EGTs. That is perhaps a better indication of how hot the engine is running. Interesting topic.