Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #21

Re: EOT & ECT - Too Hot?

I do have an Aluminess bumper. This may be causing slightly higher temps. The prior owner lived at 10,000 feet and never drove far so he may have never had the problems I am having.

The radiator looks fairly clean but upon looking closer I am surprised at how much the bumper blocks airflow.

First step is to get the coolant exchanged. I have driven it about 4,000 miles but have no idea when the last owner did it. Better safe than sorry. Step two will be to make sure my temp reading are accurate. If so I will look into louvers and other more expensive options.

I will follow-up with results next week.

Thanks Guys.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM   #22

Cool beans. Good luck with the trouble shooting and come back with an update. That way we all learn. Just curious, how many miles are on your van?

Also, for those with a scanguage keep in mind that the unit does not have sensors of it's own. It's plugged into the ODBI port and simply using the same sensors and PIDs that the PCM and TCM use. They are accurate and that's a good thing because that's what the engine computer is using to operate the engine.

Another point to make on heat louvers is even if they don't drastically lower EOT they must help with engine bay heat. Heat kills electronics, especially the FICM but also the charging syste

Besides the high operating temps, 11 to 14 mpg does seem low compared to what others report. A failing FICM will typically result in ineffective fueling and combustion burn and decreased mileage. Make sure to check your voltage.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBUNCH
First step is to get the coolant exchanged.
Make sure this is done correctly or it can just make things worse. There's a fairly specific procedure for flushing the system that needs to be followed. It's not as simple as open the drain cocks. If you are switching to an ELC coolant make sure they get ALL of the Ford gold out.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH

Also, for those with a scanguage keep in mind that the unit does not have sensors of it's own. It's plugged into the ODBI port and simply using the same sensors and PIDs that the PCM and TCM use. They are accurate and that's a good thing because that's what the engine computer is using to operate the engine.

Besides the high operating temps, 11 to 14 mpg does seem low compared to what others report. A failing FICM will typically result in ineffective fueling and combustion burn and decreased mileage. Make sure to check your voltage.
I'm not saying the Scan Gauge isn't accurate only it doesn't reflect what a true gauge does. The engine does the same. My van has always ran about the same temp since new. Upper (normal) ECT Temps at 222-226 have always been common unless I was traveling in 110+ weather on a sharp climb. Before I had a separate coolant temp gauge, the scan gauge got to 240 IIRC in extreme conditions on one occasion.It was eye opening. But normal operation temps on my van has always been between 210 and 222 in warm weather. Ford reflashed during a warranty check and that caused the fan to operate more often which in turn cooled things down slightly. Still in extreme conditions with the A/C running, 222 was a common number. In the coarse of 10 years (as luck would have it) I've had the water pump replaced along with 2 radiators and coolant changes on a year and a half basis none of which didn't have anything to do with high ECT's.

The wiring harness going bad was the main reason I cut in the louvers. As a result I saw transmission temp drop way off. I think that the louver helped add flow through the the front grill. JMO and I could be wrong. It is amazing seeing the heat coming out of those vents and I can only believe it also helping with ECT's and EOT's.

My EGT's rarely reach 1200 and since the bullet proofing are way lower but I've yet to test it out in 110* temps pulling a grade.

I've upgraded the stock oil cooler to the newer Ford model mainly cause I didn't want to spring for the cost of the bullet proof model. My old cooler was fine according to the shop but there was no reason not to do the Ford upgrade being I was in there already.

I only recently started monitoring the oil temp but in responding to the OP's post, compared to my vehicle over the last several years, those temps seem fairly normal to me. And as for mileage 12-13 is about right. Just because the Scan Gauge says you're getting 16 MPG don't mean nothing. Going up a hill it says 3MPG at times. When filling the tank and returning to full I typically have seen 10-13 MPG depending on the terrain I'm driving in. My van is heavy though. There are just too many variables IMO to say what the correct mileage would be from vehicle to vehicle. The same is probably be true for fluid temps. I will say that since the turbo/power upgrade I've had to put in less fuel at a spot I commonly have driven to over the years. So I know I'm getting better mileage but just don't know how much better. Again there are a lot of driving variables as well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #25

How do I tell if my fan is clicking on "correctly"? The engine is so loud I doubt I can hear it while driving.

Again I am a newbie with diesels so this may be a stupid question
Old 01-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #26

The fan is really loud and obvious when it comes on. Its almost so startling you wonder if you're going to blast off or something if you don't know what it is. Some guys here will likely know the parameters but I believe both high air temps to the intake as well as high EOT can both trip it. It works really well to cool the engine off and you should see results pretty quickly when it comes on.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

X2 on how loud it is...annoying IMO. In hot weather as soon as it kicks off my engine temps climb. Before the SCT tune was installed the fan would cycle less but still operate often. Now if the weather is pushing 90+ air temps, the program is set to kick on the fan any time the Engine ECT's reach 220. So in summer with the A/C on it kicks on/off often.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
The red flag is when EGTs are maintained over 1300 or 1400 F for more than a few minutes.
We used to fly up mountains before I installed the pyrometer. Now we have to slow down to about 40 on a long steep grade to keep the EGT under 1250. Our oil peaks out at about 225 with ECT 12-15 degrees lower.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #29

Here's a great writ-up on flushing the 6.0. http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family1/t ... 20v1-0.pdf

OP, the main thing is to make sure your mechanic knows the procedure. Having just replaced the oil cooler then not doing the flush correctly can simply make matters worse by stirring up precipitates and sludge that have settled in the system. Did they do a flush before the repair or after? Simply adding the a different type of coolant to the Ford Gold can lead to precipitation and clogging the tiny passageways in the the oil cooler. Proper coolant maintenance is key.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #30

Just wanted to give some of my numbers from a trip I just made to Charleston SC this weekend. Loaded down with enouth tools for 3 men to build a house....ie heavy
Most all miles on lane roads running 75-80 mph with defrost on
ECT-188 to 190
EOT-199 to 204
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote