Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

extra gasoline tank

Hi All

We have an '12 E350 EB with V10 & QuadVan conversion. We have the 46 Transfer Flow tank and a couple of 2 gallon Rotopax containers on the back bumper for our generator.

We would really like to have another 30-50 gallons that feeds into the main tank. It seems that most of the tank manufacturers (Transfer Flow, Aero, Titan, Spector) only deal with auxiliary diesel tanks or do not yet have anything for new gas Ford vans.

Has anyone fabricated a gas tank for their Sportsmobile?

Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #2

Re: extra gasoline tank

Do a search on this site for 'auxiliary tank' and you will find a possible answer.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #3

Thanks. I read through the aft tank discussion in that thread and am told by a Ford service guy that the aft gasoline tank that is used on the Ford E350 cutaway does not fit the E350 van (after 2011). The reason given is that the cross members are different on the cutaway because they are dual rear wheels. I wonder if it would fit anyway because immediately behind our axle is the 20 gallon gray water tank.

There is enough room where the rear tire fit underneath for at least a 30 gallon tank if there was a practical and safe way to get gas into the tank without cutting a new filler hole in the side of the van as well as getting the fuel from the auxiliary tank to the main tank. Maybe it is a liability issue as to why none of the tank manufacturers will offer an extra gasoline tank. Local fabricators are more than willing to custom make a tank as long as I have it installed. I figure there has to be at least some market for those of us with the V10 to get an extended range solution.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I removed the spare tire mount and moved that rear cross member on my EB and installed a 30 gal tank from The Tank Source http://www.thetankssource.com/sandie...d=0&Itemid=827. I'm using mine for water but could have just as easily done one for fuel.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
I removed the spare tire mount and moved that rear cross member on my EB and installed a 30 gal tank from The Tank Source http://www.thetankssource.com/sandie...d=0&Itemid=827. I'm using mine for water but could have just as easily done one for fuel.
Do those affect your insurance companies stance? Mine said off the line fine; aftermarket retrofit would not be accepted...

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #6

Tammy, QuadVan does rear tanks some the of the vans the convert. The cross-members are slightly different with the vans and cutaways, but the one that matters is easy to relocate.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. John at Quadvan does good work and we're pleased with their setup. But since they are in Oregon and we're in Ohio I have to find someone more local to do our extra tank. It's easy to keep tinkering with the Sportsmobile because there always seems to be another cool feature to add. Since most of the fun driving areas our far west of where we live our vacation starts once we get to Colorado and beyond so we drive non-stop for 20 hours. Having a 600-800 mile range makes a difference since expect for switching our drivers we don't stop until we get to our destination.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #8

extra gasoline tank

Tammy - you could plan a vacation to Oregon and include a stop at Quadvan to get the tank installed.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #9

I think that Chris at U-Joint does an aux tank.

I also think he has done them for the Quigley model and it is a perfect fit.
If I am not mistaken there is a Blue Quigley that he did one on and some pics are posted on the
web site.

Check him out. His web site is ujointoffroad.com
It you scroll down on the Home Page you will see one of the fuel tanks.
he also installs what he sells.
He is well known in the industry as well as having worked on a number of SMB forum
members vehicles.

I should point out that I am partial, as he is doing a total conversion on my SMB currently.

Oh- he is in North Carolina

Good luck
Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #10

Also mobility upfitters (wheelchair vans) can install the TransferFlow rear tank. I think its 34 gallons?