Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #21

Re: First engine rebuild fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
If cam timing were the problem, there would be 8 valves making the same contact - they are all equal.

Intake valve contact would only happen at or approaching TDC on the compression stroke and the valve should be closed well ahead of that. Cam couldn't have been off enough degrees or it wouldn't have started easily as the intakes would have been open on the compression stroke, might even have been back firing through the intake.

A pushrod that bent would be because it tried to open a valve that was stuck, not because the valve was pushed closed by piston contact.

My guess would be that the valve hung up in the valve guide, which was (and still would be) too tight, or was not lubricated well enough. When you were running it at higher RPM it was moving freely but building heat and then when you dropped the RPM the valve stuck in the guide, contacted the piston, bent and was now really stuck in the guide and then the pushrod bent when it tried to open the stuck valve.

I would pull all of my valves and check the guides for size and look for signs of tight guides. Stick a good valve in the guide of the bent valve and see if it is free moving.

Sure enough I had to use a hammer and punch to get the valve out. I went ahead and pulled every valve in the head and they all slide thru the guides nice and smooth. I pulled the drivers side head off today and will pull all the valves out of it tomorrow to check them.

Ok so now do I ask Huges Engine to send me a new head? I'll talk to them on Monday about what they are willing to do.

Yodavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #22

Garage

Hi Pierre,
I'm sorry to read that you've problem with your rebuilt engine. Hope you're gonna find what happened and fix it soon.
Good luck.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodavan
Ok so now do I ask Huges Engine to send me a new head? I'll talk to them on Monday about what they are willing to do.
I'm by no means an expert on these engines, but some engines have replaceable valve guides and some are integral to the head. Since your valve is too tight it may be possible to have the guide reamed for proper fit.

I imagine that Ramsey will fill us in on the proper course of action.....

If reaming or guide replacement is the proper course of action, you can take the head to someone who does head work/valve jobs locally.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #24

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I'd call Hughes and tell them that #8 Intake Valve (if that is the correct one) stuck on start up and bent the pushrod and valve. They will probably want the heads shipped back to them and they will correct the problem. That could be rebuilding the heads and replacing what is bad (bent valve and guide) and checking everything else. The guide could be replaced or repaired (knurled) and the valve seat should be checked.

I don't think you mentioned it but what was your procedure for first start up? Did you do anything to prime the oil system and what about cam break in?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
Hi Pierre,
I'm sorry to read that you've problem with your rebuilt engine. Hope you're gonna find what happened and fix it soon.
Good luck.

Hey Pschitt hope your well! It would great to meet up again if your in the area.

Yep I'm learning the hard way LOL!
Old 02-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
I'm by no means an expert on these engines, but some engines have replaceable valve guides and some are integral to the head. Since your valve is too tight it may be possible to have the guide reamed for proper fit.

I imagine that Ramsey will fill us in on the proper course of action.....

If reaming or guide replacement is the proper course of action, you can take the head to someone who does head work/valve jobs locally.
I'll see what Hughes wants to do, I talked to him a week or so ago and he told me to make a list of parts I need and he would send them free. Be great if he could send me new heads this next week while the weather is good.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
I'd call Hughes and tell them that #8 Intake Valve (if that is the correct one) stuck on start up and bent the pushrod and valve. They will probably want the heads shipped back to them and they will correct the problem. That could be rebuilding the heads and replacing what is bad (bent valve and guide) and checking everything else. The guide could be replaced or repaired (knurled) and the valve seat should be checked.

I don't think you mentioned it but what was your procedure for first start up? Did you do anything to prime the oil system and what about cam break in?

So I got the valves pulled out of the other head tonight and one valve was very tight initially. But after running it thru a few times it's better. Most of the valves slide fairly well thru the guides.

I did not spin the oil pump to prime before starting. Spoke with a friend and he has the drill attachment to do that so I plan to pull the distributor and valve covers and spin the oil pump making sure oil is flowing before turning the key on the second go. The cam is a hydraulic roller cam, other then light oil on the lifters and assembly lube on the bearing lobes thats it.

I also got the cam degree done today. Checked it before pulling apart and it came out close to 3 degrees further advanced then the cam card. I pulled both gears and the crank gear is now in the zero degree key way and the cam gear is in the 2degree advanced key way. It's now exactly matching the cam card.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #28

Here's a picture of the timing set before I removed them today.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #29

Garage

Quote:
Hey Pschitt hope your well! It would great to meet up again if your in the area.

Yep I'm learning the hard way LOL!
Hey Pierre.

I'm actually not in Colorado but will definitely let you know when I'm gonna head there.

Hope your engine will run smoothly again soon.

Cheers,

Claude-Alain
Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #30

Yoda is up and running! Got the heads back and the valve guides now have bronze sleeves installed. Thanks to all who jumped in to help get this issue figured out.

Pierre