Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Fluid leak

I've got a 2001 Ford 5.4 gasser. I just noticed some dark, wettish looking spots under the passenger wheel well near the cup holding the body mount.

In the engine bay the top of the non sealed battery looked wet, with drips down the side and on the cable housing for the positive leads. And on the refrigerant line with the "tire valve" fitting just behind the battery.

I can't get much fluid, but it seems sorta greenish, but doesn't smell like coolant and I see no coolant leaks. I can't see anywhere else wet. Some wetness near top of power steering reservoir, but it's sealed tight and that may be old.

Doesn't feel oily , like hydraulic fluid. No white dried areas. Can't figure what it is; could it be from air con compressor? If how'd it get on top of battery without hitting inside top of hood?

I'm puzzled. Is there se battery fluid with a greenish tint?

Rob

Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #2

Re: Fluid leak

Battery acid is not green. However its always a good idea and make sure a wet battery is naturalized with battery acid so you don't get corrosion. If it "fizzes" a lot, than if probably is battery acid, possibly from overcharging (often because the terminals need cleaning).

It's hard to smell small quantities off coolant, but I'd be suspect of it. That location indicates a probable failing heater hose. It usually fails right where it comes out of the manifold. When the leak first starts, its just a pinhole leak so it can spray away from the source, but not be enough to see it leaking while your looking. Eventually (sooner rather than later probably) the heater hose will rupture.

I went through this exercise with my van last spring. Since your van is one year newer.... sound like you're due

If you have rear factory HVAC, the dealer and the parts stores will want well north of $100 for the hose assembly. I got it from Rock Auto for $22. When you do the repair, use the factory style hose assembly and use the factory spring clamp. I tried using hose clamps the first time I fixed it, and that caused the plies of the hose to separate. So I actually did the repair 3 times. Twice with universal hose and hose clamps before spending springing for the OEM style assembly.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

More: on reexamining this AM, seems to be slickish. And it also seems to repel water, so not from battery. Still thinking air con compressor fluid, since replacing it is a more expensive option ;(
Old 03-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #4

Heater hose would make sense too. Although it doesn't seem like coolant since it repels water. I just drove home, 500+ miles, and nothing.

I hate intermittent leaks like I hate intermittent shorts. Both are such a PITA to find.

And I still can't figure how anything could spray the top of the battery without hitting much of anything else. Aargh.

But on the bright side everything works fine and no codes.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #5

Have you check to see if the PVC hose is still attached to the PCV valve? It can work its way off and you'll get oil must under the hood.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #6

Attached; that doesn't seem to be it.

Beginning to wonder if someone left a green popsicle on my hood....

I gotta take it in for a 90K service, and I'll have them check around. It's kind of hard to see everything, and they'll have the wheels off. Always good to have some experienced eyes on it.

Now I'm wondering if there might have been something that could have slopped sideways; just before I noticed it I was bumping down some sidehill. Maybe something got up in the body near the battery, and took that occasion to spill down to the left over it. That could mean it was squirting up from somewhere that wasn't even in line with the battery, but sprayed underneath the battery carrier. Really hard to see that area without removing stuff.

Rob
Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau

Beginning to wonder if someone left a green popsicle on my hood....

Rob
Any of your buddies like screwing with you?
Where is your window washer fluid bottle located? Some of that stuff is green sometimes.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Any of your buddies like screwing with you?
Where is your window washer fluid bottle located? Some of that stuff is green sometimes.
Or, could you have a leak in a windshield washer hose or tube?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #9

My guess: green + slippery probably is indeed oil and associated indicator dye from your AC system.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #10

My mechanic dove in and looked it over and his conclusion is that it's coming from the battery. Kinda odd, since none of the usual battery white crusty stuff. But maybe this one has some other stuff in it (like the Thermoil batteries SMB once used). It seems to locate specifically one the battery parts.

Time to get a new one.

Rob