Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #11

Re: Ford 2010 Diesel or Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcksurf9
Appreciate everyone's comments....thanks

We am good with reg maintenance and some extra care with a diesel. We have heard on several occasions not to idle for long periods... We also have the flat plate exchanger for hot water so what is long; 10 or 15 min or 30+?
10 minutes at low idle would be max for me I usually never idle for more than a couple of minutes. High idle is fine though, as it allows for better combustion temps. If you are going to idle at low idle I would use a cetane boost fuel additive. This also prevents soot buildup on the EGR valve.

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #12

We have a 2008 and now have 23K miles on it and the 6.0 has run flawlessly. We have a very heavy EB and generally get 15-16 mpg while on the highway. Our worst tank was just under 14 mpg, while climbing over Engineer Pass in Colorado on this tank we had a lot of off road steep climbing and were running the heater every night (also diesel). I drive the van very gently and typically don't drive faster than 65 mph on the highway for two reasons. One is fuel economy and the other is this is a very heavy truck and I don't want to try an evasive maneuver in a 10K+ lifter 4x4 van at 75mph!

The diesel is definitely noisier than the gas. It is most noticeable in around town or off road driving. On the highway there really isn't much noise other than a slight whine from the turbo. Two things we have done which have cut down on the noise dramatically, running Amsoil and burning a bio-diesel blend or running an other lubricity additive.

The primary reasons we got the diesel is range. With the 46 gallon tank you theoretically can go almost 700 miles on a tank of fuel. There is some debate on how much of the 46 gallons is actually usable but we have gone from Reno, NV to Portland, OR on one tank and it is really nice to pass up all of the podunk gas stations with $$$$$$$ prices.

One last thing if you go through with the diesel I would strongly advise you to either have SMB install an auxiliary trans cooler or install one yourself. The Ford emblem in the grill blocks most of the air flow to the stock cooler and in hot weather ours would boil the fluid out the breather vent. I did a write up on our installation on the forum, you should be able to search and find it.

We are very happy with the diesel and if give the choice I wouldn't change.

Cheers,
John
Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #13

Appreciate the write up.....finalized purchase today, can't wait!!
mcksurf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcksurf9
Appreciate the write up.....finalized purchase today, can't wait!!
So which did you go with ?

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #15

RB 2010 6.0L Diesel-4x4 loaded!
mcksurf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #16

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #17

Ford 2010 Diesel or Gas

Great choice! Now, call Zylstra Automotive in Visalia. Ask to speak with Sean Zylstra. Tell him you are interested in hearing all of his opinions about how to monitor and keep all of your running temps within the "normal" range.