Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Ford 6.0 PSD CAC boots

I am looking for inut from members on the CAC boots. I have oil eaking from the boots on both the hot and cold side. I am assuming since oil is able to leak out they are also leaking air. I have looked online for replacements that are upgradea to the OEM Ford boots but can't find anything listed for the vans. Does anyone know if the boots for an F-350 will work?

Napa carries them in the Gates brand, does anyone know if the Gates boots are better quality than the OEM ones. They are all expensive and I am more concerned with quality than cost.

Thanks
John

John and Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Is this what you're looking for? I've always had great experiences with Riffraff Diesel.

Ford - 03-07 Super Duty 6.0L - Intakes, Intercoolers & Related - Intercooler CAC Boots - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Herb
Old 07-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #3

When I replaced all the boots on my rig I could not find any aftermarket replacements, including the sweet boots from Riff Raff, Mishimoto, or BD Diesel. The boots are different than the trucks. The part #'s are a bit tricky as well. You can't simply use the number on the boot. Better to go with the schematics. Best prices are from AutonationFord.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
...The boots are different than the trucks...
Didn't know that, sorry for any confusion.

Herb
Old 07-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #5

Garage
From the tone of your message it sounds like you are planning to do your own. But in case your wondering, I Just had mine replaced at the Ford Dealer (same issue, a very slight leak from the hot side so we replaced both) for the low price of $671.14
Old 07-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Yes I plan on doing them myself. I already have 2 of them off because I am replacing the vacuum pump and steering box with one from Redhead Steering Gears. I had to remove them to make room to get the fan our of the way so I could get the pulley off the vacuum pump. The Ford engineers in their infinite (not ) wisdom didn't design the cut out in the pulley to line up with the bolts for the pump so the socket sits at an angle. When trying to remove the bottom bolt I could feel the socket start to slip and round the bolt head. Instead of destroying the bolt and creating more problem I pulled the pulley with the pump in which was a PIA.

From reading posts on the diesel truck forms it sounds like these pumps are only good for 80-100K miles so any you nearing 100K miles might want to think about replacing this before it goes out. We got lucky and ours started making noise on the last day of a three week trip from Seattle to Wisconsin and back. When the pump goes out you loose the power boost for the brakes and stopping one of these rigs from highway speed is hard enough with power braks, I can't imagine trying it with no boost.

I am going to pick up the Gates set from Napa today and will compare them to the OEM ones, I will put up another post after I get them.

John