Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #11

Ahhh, yes.
Coupla click got me to the Wiki. Stated that the 96-14 had the 2 valve.

regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:19 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Also relating to blown or ejected plugs that problem was supposedly most common in the earlier years of the Modular Motors, the 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8 V10's. About 2000 the heads were improved to include more threads per hole which seemed to greatly reduce that problem.

While the 3 valve spark plugs have their own removal issues if the 2 valve plugs are changed more often than the recommended 100K interval (about 50K for me) they're far less likely to have any issues. I do use anti-seize and I'm fully convinced that's helped me over the years of 5.4 ownership.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #13

One of the vids I watched was pretty in depth about the issue. I think it was on an F Series. He used a bore scope and showed how the head only had three to four threads. Huge wowza in my book.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #14

Had the plugs on my 98 5.4 E250 changed at around 100k. No issues at all according to my mechanic.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:04 AM   #15
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
One of the vids I watched was pretty in depth about the issue. I think it was on an F Series. He used a bore scope and showed how the head only had three to four threads. Huge wowza in my book.
When I first became a Ford Modular Motor owner and joined a few forums I was alarmed and a bit scared there was an epidemic of plug failures in these engines. Turns out that's simply not true even though those going through a repair might not agree which I understand.

I then happened across this thread on FTE: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ead-heads.html It was eye opening, forever relaxed my concerns about plug issues.

While that "test" wasn't conducted strictly but it does cover enough different scenarios to show how uncommon this really is.

Just my humble opinion so take that for what it's worth.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #16

FWIW I did the plugs on my 2006 5.4 recently; they had 8-9 threads of engagement in the head, so at some point Ford addressed the issue. They were one piece Autolites, I replaced with NGK double platinum, didn't use anti seize in hindsight maybe should have given the thread depth. Not a bad job but definitely finicky and hard to get to and clean out. They were well worn and I picked up a noticeable improvement in response and maybe even 1/2 a mpg.
malcolmzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #17

I want to believe that the 2 valve heads as used in the van do not have this issue.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:52 AM   #18
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmzilla View Post
FWIW I did the plugs on my 2006 5.4 recently; they had 8-9 threads of engagement in the head, so at some point Ford addressed the issue.
When we're discussing plug thread count we mean those in the head, not the ones on the actual plugs. Even ejected plug threads show little to no signs of failing unless bits of the aluminum from the head remain embedded in those threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
I want to believe that the 2 valve heads as used in the van do not have this issue.
They don't but as I say if someone is dealing with this it does seem huge. If there's good news its there are known reliable long-term nearly perfect repairs for the ones that fail.