Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #1

Ford updating E-Series Cutaway and Stripped Chassis

There is a lot of interest in E-Series on this forum, so I'm sharing information I ran across by accident that seems a little odd to me considering E-Series is being phased out. Some of you may be able to expand on this.

According to Ford 2016 specs, the E-Series Cutaway and Stripped Chassis with the V10 engine will now have the 6-speed TorqShift transmission. The 5.4L V8 will remain with 5-speed.

I also ran across one document in foreign language which showed the 2016 F59 stripped chassis with V10 was also getting the 6-speed. I can't find 2016 data for either F59, or F53 Motorhome Chassis, from US Ford site, but I'd bet that all of these with V10 engines will get the 6-speed starting in 2016 model year.

It would be interesting to know how long Ford plans to keep E-Series cutaway and stripped chassis around. I can't imagine they would upgrade it just prior to elimination.

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #2

Re: Ford updating E-Series Cutaway and Stripped Chassis

I also found a bulletin stating that the A/C system is getting a big upgrade. It now requires a pressure sensor, not a switch, probably because it's getting a variable speed A/C compressor (or maybe even full electric?).

I suspect that as long as the plant maintains level production, they'll keep it around. 2019 is the last date I read, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay around longer, if they are updating power trains.

A 6-speed auto would definitely be some good motivation for me up upgrade my ride...
Old 05-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #3

carringb, is full electric AC compressor even a possibility with Ford? I've been hoping for such an upgrade for RV use which could eliminate the typical roof-mounted AC. I know it would use a little more power while on the road, but if combined with optional rear AC then an electric AC compressor could be powered off shore power or generator with proper converters while camping. What's spent on additional energy conversion may be saved on reduced weight and aero drag.

What I like is that the GCWR with 4.56 gears is up to 22,000 pounds. That means that even a 14,500-pound fully-loaded E-450 can still pull a good size trailer. I'm not sure if the previous rating went above 18,500 GCWR.

If I end up with a small Class C again, or perhaps a small Class A built on E-Series stripped chassis (like Thor Vegas/Axis), it'll be good to know that Ford has continued to make improvements.

The one thing Ford should really do is offer chassis with lengths above 176-inch wheelbase. A large percentage of RVs are above that, and after you pointed it out, I took a close look under an Axis. The stretch was only around 12 inches but looked like hell. It turned me off wanting an RV like that completely. Frame rails, exhaust, and driveshaft could be seen cut and spliced from a mile away. Not what I'd prefer in a brand new RV.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #4

That's great news. The E series is still selling well, #3!

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/05/us ... d.html?m=1
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #5

These specs are the first I've seen confirming the 2016 F-53 motorhome chassis is also getting the 6R140 transmission.

http://www.feyerfordlincoln.com/new/ind ... 0FOH634A0/
Old 05-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #6

For those interested in Ford V10s and modifying them for more power, Ford finally published specs for the 2016 F53 Motorhome chassis. While it confirms the switch to 6R140 transmission, it also shows the 3-valve V10 being derated in power.

Previously they had 362 HP at 4,750 RPM and 457 lb-ft at 3,250 RPM.

Now they have 320 HP at 4,000 RPM and 460 lb-ft at 3,000 RPM.

It would be interesting to know why Ford did this. RVers were expecting more rather than less power. I'd guess that since Ford doesn't have any direct competition at present for F53 chassis, they detuned it for improved fuel economy and or durability. Before they had to compete with Chevy big-block V8s in WorkHorse chassis.

Or maybe they are restricting the V10 to make the next engine look better by comparison. The Powerstroke V8 comes to mind for the F53 chassis. It's already being used in truck-based RVs.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #7

It might not actually make mess power. One of fords engineers did a q&a on the 6.2l which also is "derated" for commercial applications. Except it really isn't. It's max HP published is the max RPM that meets EPA's new noise standard. There is no rev limiting. It's simply derated on paper for noise compliance. I would not be surprised if the V10 is the same.

That said, here's also new carbon emissions in affect this year, which already has resulted in frontal area restrictions for the e350 with the v10 (v8 and e450 v10 not affected). I hope this doesn't translate into power restrictions as well.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #8

Chance, for full electric A/C to work, it would be also require electric cooling fans, but I've read the v10 news more flow than can be done with electric fans. I have seen many e-series buses and even some wheelchair vans with a rear only electric compressor.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Chance, for full electric A/C to work, it would be also require electric cooling fans, but I've read the v10 news more flow than can be done with electric fans. I have seen many e-series buses and even some wheelchair vans with a rear only electric compressor.
Couldn't Ford install both types of fans? A large engine-driven fan to keep engine cool under high loads and auxillary electric fan(s) for the AC condenser when engine isn't running?

Considering most RVs spend more time parked while camping versus time on road, I'm convinced that adding a factory electric AC would simplify and improve air conditioning, plus save both cost and energy in long run. A factory dual AC with dash and rear AC would be great. Just getting AC off the roof would be an improvement.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Couldn't Ford install both types of fans? A large engine-driven fan to keep engine cool under high loads and auxillary electric fan(s) for the AC condenser when engine isn't running?
They do put both on the E450s with the fluid state ambulance package. Also, one of the transit motors (ecoboost?) uses one mechanical one electrical.

Btw all fords with auto stop/start use electric ac compressors.