Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

FS2500 Bypass Oil Filter

I bought the FS2500 and now I have buyers remorse. Check placement of the oil "In line" coming out of the bottom of the oil filter. This scares me! Has anyone installed the FS2500 on an E350 van with the 6.0?Click image for larger version

Name:	oilLineHeight.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	25935
Attached Thumbnails
OilFillCapOnEngine.jpg  

coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #2

Garage
That would concern me! Pic angle may be making it look worse than it is, can you clarify if the filter & fitting are actually sitting about 3" below the pan?
Old 02-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
That would concern me! Pic angle may be making it look worse than it is, can you clarify if the filter & fitting are actually sitting about 3" below the pan?
Yes, the fitting is sitting about 2" below the oil filter. These kits work great for the F series trucks as the oil filter cap is much smaller and it sits inside the engine compartment facing up!

The oil filter housing is beefy enough to withstand significant blunt force trauma from road debris. The small adapter coming out of the oil filter to the hose may not be so fortunate.

FS200 says they have installed about 8000 of these in E-series vans. When I told him that the oil filter sits underneath, he paused and said that may be a concern.

Maybe they have done 8000 F series pick up trucks.

I removed all the hoses. Charged the battery. Installed the plug back in the oil filter housing and the oil pan plug. The van has been sitting for 2 months. I want to fire it back up. With 823,000 miles on the clock, not sure how much more protection a bypass filter is going to offer. LOL!
Old 02-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #4

Ujoint sells an "oil filter relocation kit" which is basically an adapter that clocks the oil filter 90 degrees and is specifically made for the 6.0 They use it to make room for the front driveshaft on a 4x conversion, but it looks like it would remedy your situation to get your line up and out of the way of danger. I've never owned a 6.0, but check it out to see if it might help you.

Follow this link and then scroll down the page almost all the way to the bottom.

4x4 van conversion parts
Old 02-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
Ujoint sells an "oil filter relocation kit" which is basically an adapter that clocks the oil filter 90 degrees and is specifically made for the 6.0 They use it to make room for the front driveshaft on a 4x conversion, but it looks like it would remedy your situation to get your line up and out of the way of danger. I've never owned a 6.0, but check it out to see if it might help you.

Follow this link and then scroll down the page almost all the way to the bottom.

4x4 van conversion parts
That kit will work! However, I need to rethink the bypass project as the kit will put me at about $900. I can buy a lot of oil and filters. The previous owner must have done something right with over 800,000 miles on this beast. I have put almost 50k on it. The bypass was just an improvement project. it's taking way too long. I know I could have put together my kit as it's turning out that way.

I am leaning towards returning the kit.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfeet View Post
...With 823,000 miles on the clock, not sure how much more protection a bypass filter is going to offer. LOL!
coolfeet thats Fantastic ! I would be ecstatic if I could achieve just half that. You really need to take care of that Rig - I'm expecting an update when you crest that 1,000,000 mark!