Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
psc

Fuel pump cutoff Q

Hi,

I have a '01 Quigley V-10. It's been sitting in the garage in NM since October last year, after a weekend trip. I still have 1/2 tank (~20 gallons) gas left over. The starting battery has a Battery Tender on it since, and the charge is topped off as well as fluid in the battery. Plugs have never been out, since it only has 70K miles.

Yesterday, I tried to start the van. The battery turned the starter over well, but I either had no spark or fuel to ignite? This van always started readily after a second of cranking.

I checked the fuel pump cutoff switch by the passenger side panel. The button is down, so I assumed that the circuit is closed. The pump relay clicked when I turn the key for electrical power. Other fuses look good. All lights/radio work.

My first question: Is there a way to make the fuel cutoff button pop up so that I can cycle it? I pressed the buttom, but it's fixed in the down position.

Second question: Would the recent -20F overnight temperature cause some changes in the fuel state so that it is no longer good? I neglected putting in Sta-bil this winter, not expecting the Ts to drop that low.

Final question: Any suggestion for diagnostic?

Thanks.

Peter

psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #2

Re: Fuel pump cutoff Q

I doubt it's the inertia switch. It trips from impact.

Do you hear the fuel pump whine for about 1/2-second when you first turn the key to run? If yes, cycle it from off to on a couple times before starting.

If no, your fuel pump may be stuck. The 10% ethanol fuel used in most areas now is not good for sitting, especially without a stabilizer. It's likely form a varnish in the fuel pump. You could try smacking the bottom of the tank with a large mallet while somebody holds the key in the start position. This will often make a stuck fuel pump spin again.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
psc

Ah, I forgot! I did just that: crawl under the van and had my wife switch on the ignition. Yes, there was a whirling pump noise. But still no fuel/joy.

More suggestions?

Thanks.

Peter
psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #4

Isn't there a fuel system test port on the line near the fuel rail, to test pressure in the line?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #5

I think the pressure port Jage mentioned is the next logical place to diagnose.

Also.... could just try dropping in a new fuel filter. It should be done every 30,000 anyways, cost under $10, and could very well be gummed up from sitting with E10 in it. Ethanol also does the nice thing where it melts down fine organic particles, allowing them to form a sludge.