Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

Full float rear end RSC swap

I'm finding that 2006-2008 passenger vans have full float rear ends that are compatible with RSC.

I've got a 2012 EB with a semi float rear end and would like to upgrade. Any one done it? Or any info?

Thanks!

Pilgyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #2

Lots of us have done it. Maybe do some research and then get back with more specific questions. It's a big project with many questions to answer. For example, with a D60 FF you will still need your wheel spacers. Source a D70 if you can.

The search function works pretty good on this forum but here's some light reading for you:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ater-7175.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-fun-6746.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-end-8925.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ide-12683.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-4x4-6206.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ons-10051.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...cers-1632.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #3

Hey joe!

Appreciate the response, and maybe I wasn't specific enough with the details in both the title and the body of my post, but my question is specific to vans with RSC, found mostly after 2006 and in passenger van setups. My year, 2012, only came in semi float as an option but after doing all my research, 8' finding that some of the first years of RSC in the vans that they came with a full float axle.

I appreciate the search links, all posts I've found along with others across the internet, but nothing I've found is specific to RSC equipped vehicles.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgyfish View Post
Hey joe!

Appreciate the response, and maybe I wasn't specific enough with the details in both the title and the body of my post, but my question is specific to vans with RSC, found mostly after 2006 and in passenger van setups. My year, 2012, only came in semi float as an option but after doing all my research, 8' finding that some of the first years of RSC in the vans that they came with a full float axle.

I appreciate the search links, all posts I've found along with others across the internet, but nothing I've found is specific to RSC equipped vehicles.
Cool! My van was older so not sure about the RSC but somebody will chime. Carringb will know.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

2005-2008 wagons were full floats and RSC equipped, 5.4L only (v10s weren't RSC until '09, diesels never got RSC). However 2008 was the first year for the bigger brakes. If you put a '05-'07 axle in your '12, you'll be slightly downsizing the rear rotors and pad size. But the pistons were bigger with the older brakes, so overall braking force is probably similar, but the newer brakes will reject heat better and last much longer.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #6

I could be wrong here, but I am thinking that the older RSC axles are not compatible with the newer RSC axles. I thought that was kind of the conclusion we came to that issue in another thread. I could be dead wrong about that, but I also inquired about this when I had my conversion done and the known RSC axle that would work was off an F Series truck. I do see full floaters on SRW Box trucks, but I am thinking they are not RSC as they are aftermarket builds. There was a change in the RSC sometime around 2009-2011??

I am also under the impression that the newer Semi Floaters has bigger bearings and are rated up to 6400 lbs. In checking parts diagrams, the Full Floater is rated at 7800 and is not RSC.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
2005-2008 wagons were full floats and RSC equipped, 5.4L only (v10s weren't RSC until '09, diesels never got RSC). However 2008 was the first year for the bigger brakes. If you put a '05-'07 axle in your '12, you'll be slightly downsizing the rear rotors and pad size. But the pistons were bigger with the older brakes, so overall braking force is probably similar, but the newer brakes will reject heat better and last much longer.
2008 is the Unicorn, when I pull up the rear axle in car-part.com its a 1 year only. Found one in LA for $400.

Still interested if what Flux says is true with the older Full Floats not being compatible with the newer models. My 2012 there is no full float RSC option in any model.

The biggest reason I'm interested is so if I do have an axle failure, I'm not up the creek without a paddle. I've lost an axle on a full float and was able to get myself help and not be stuck.

That and who doesn't like heavy duty.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #8

The only difference with RSC and older non-RSC axles is speed sensor placement, and independent brake lines. So beside the smaller brakes theres no other compatibility issues.

To install an F-series axle in your RSC van, it does have to be from and RSC equipped donor truck. RSC got phased in much slower in the trucks, and non-rsc trucks still have 1 sensor and one brake line.

Starting with 2008, all E-series got outboard rear wheel speed sensors and independent brake lines (for 4-channel ABS and brake assisted traction control), making it compatible with RSD. So you can stuff a 2008+ cutaway axle under your van. Only caveat is the single-rear-wheel E350 cutaway full float axle is wider than the van axle. I find that desirable but if also means adding bolt-pattern adapters would make it too wide.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The only difference with RSC and older non-RSC axles is speed sensor placement, and independent brake lines. So beside the smaller brakes theres no other compatibility issues.

To install an F-series axle in your RSC van, it does have to be from and RSC equipped donor truck. RSC got phased in much slower in the trucks, and non-rsc trucks still have 1 sensor and one brake line.

Starting with 2008, all E-series got outboard rear wheel speed sensors and independent brake lines (for 4-channel ABS and brake assisted traction control), making it compatible with RSD. So you can stuff a 2008+ cutaway axle under your van. Only caveat is the single-rear-wheel E350 cutaway full float axle is wider than the van axle. I find that desirable but if also means adding bolt-pattern adapters would make it too wide.
That's what I like to hear! I'm sure there are plenty of Cutaway axles lying around here in San Diego, so to confirm if I read it correctly -

2008+ Full Float rear axles have the required wheel speed sensors and independent brake lines to make it RSC compatible.

I'm not worried about width, as I'll be running the stock 8 x 6.5 pattern even after moving to 4x4 by Agile.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #10

Thanks for setting that straight carringb!!

I opted not to pursue it when I got the conversion, but somebody has an SRW cutaway that drives by my office window every day and it drives me nuts. Plus there's a little jealousy when I see anyone with a FF on a van or truck. Maybe some day...