Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #21

The pop top is from a econoline i think a 2000 but if i wanted i could put it on a transit also correct?

iathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #22

Are MPG a serious concern?
Is load capacity?
Is expandability?
Whichis more important, 4X4, comfort or usability, etc... ?

The roof are different, probably make it work and highly unlikely to bolt in...
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by iathon View Post
The pop top is from a econoline i think a 2000 but if i wanted i could put it on a transit also correct?
Anything is possible, but I think this swap might be a lot of work. The E-series roof isn't flat. It's curved and flares out behind the driver seat and then tapers towards the back. Transit is square. And wider at the roof (although it looks like Transit pop tops don't go edge to edge).

An old Vanagon roof might be an easier swap, since they were more square.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #24

If you can get a used poptop easily for that price then buy it anyway. You can resell it in a day and make a buck. Used SMB poptops are HARD to find and people will pay a premium, especially since the price of a new one from SMB and CCV has doubled in the last 4 years.

I have a 2015 Transit and absolutely love it. I'm hesitant to sing it's praises too much here since this forum is 80% diehard E-series fans, which I am too. I've had 4.

First, if you want a hardcore rock crawler at a bargain price stop dreaming of the 7.3 and buy a V10. Amazing power, MUCH quieter than a diesel especially considering your family road trips, virtually no maintenance. Read that again and think realistically about diesels. Yes, I love diesels. We all do. They sound amazing, give you dreams of conquering Everest in your camper, have seemingly endless torque.....all that. But they are not maintenance free. How much time to do you want to spend rehabbing the mechanical side of the van AND building it out before you can get in an enjoy it? The 7.3 hasn't been produced in 15 years! The V10 largely skips that first part and you don't really pay any more for fuel than a diesel, you pay it in oil changes and additives instead with the diesel.

OK, enough of that. Transit: It's not an old body on frame van. It's very Euro. It's Ford's answer to the Transit and they are beating them at their own game. Firm ride, firm seats, amazing handling, everything from bumper to bumper 25 years newer designwise, much safer, goes and stops and turns like a sports car, is SILENT in every way, has 6 cup holders for the front seats alone and better vision than a greenhouse. All that and it still manages to be truck enough to keep your manly nature happy and still get 16-17mpg. The Ecoboost is no joke. Go drive one. You can get a decent used one for 25k and then you have square walls to build your interior on. It's like a gift from the van gods.

I'll be curious to see what you decide on. The good thing here is that there are really no bad options. Oh, a low roof Transit, that would be a bad option. Why? Why do they even make them?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #25

So I am going to pull the trigger on the top I think.

AS far as the van. I think that if I got a used transit I can still town all i need such as flat towing vw buses. Then I can add the 4x4 after... I think as far as dependability etc this might be my best bet and since they are still being made it will be easier to get future products.
iathon is offline   Reply With Quote