Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

got 5-Star tuned from Mike today!

Wow, what a huge difference! I have a 5.4 and have always regretted not having bought a V-10 or diesel, but I love my van too much to do it over. I put a free flowing Spectre air filter on it awhile back, but didn't want to put a loud exhaust on it. Tried that once, never again on a highway vehicle.
I went with Mike at 5-Star due to his great rep on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums. I got a SCT tuner (OBDII plug in) with 3 custom tunes: 87 economy, 87 performance, and 87 towing. I went with the performance tune first today and I honestly can't believe the difference. It woke the 5.4 up bigtime! I really wasn't expecting that much. I can't wait to load the van up and get it on a road trip and see how it does, but I can so far say it was money well spent on the 5.4

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #2

Re: got 5-Star tuned from Mike today!

5-Star and Mike rock. Prompt, knowledgeable, and all around helpful. And the answer the phone!!
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #3

I am looking at tuners for my V10 do you know if theirs can do speedometer correction as well?
When I complete my 4x4 conversion and change gears I want to be able to adjust the speedo.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #4

Ultrasport, yes I'm 99.9% sure they do, I think I saw gear ratio change option too.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #5

Thanks I will look into them...
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #6

Spoke with Mike today and about to pull the trigger on the ITSX version that gives you realtime info via your phone or iPad. Before I make the purchase is there anyone making a tuner that you can change the parameters on the fly?

I used to have an Edge Tuner for my diesel trucks and it was great to change everything with a one button touch while driving.

Great example use for the quick change was on my trip last we to the Sierra's. I want the econo tune for most of the drive up and performance on the hills etc.

Any options like this out there?

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #7

You can do this with Mike's tuners in just a minute or two. I have changed tunes while filling up with fuel several times, but it's not touch of a button on the older style (and cheaper) obd2 one like i got from him. It requires engine shutdown and plugging in/running through the menu. About a 2 minute process.
Not sure about the ios versions.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Wow, what a huge difference! I have a 5.4 ...
I went with Mike at 5-Star due to his great rep on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums. I got a SCT tuner (OBDII plug in) with 3 custom tunes: 87 economy, 87 performance, and 87 towing. I went with the performance tune first today and I honestly can't believe the difference...
I just noticed this thread. I have a 5.4 also, and had looked on the 5-Star site because I was thinking about one of his products. (That said, I have a 1997 and I think his site said "1999-and-up" - not sure why but I think I tried to call and didn't get anyone and then was leaving on my trip so did not pursue it. I do have OBD II though, I think, as I have a Scangauge II plugged into it now.)

Have you used either the economy or towing tunes yet? Those are the two I would probably be interested in, as I'm already fine with the amount of "pep" in the 5.4, but I do tow and of course economy could be nice for other times.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #9

I have used the towing and the 87 performance, but not the economy yet. I really wish I had gotten a 93 performance as my third tune instead of the economy, because I'm sure it's going to be pretty boring to drive. You get 3 custom tunes from Mike of your choosing with the tuner. The performance tune woke mine up quite a bit but I have no way to measure how much, and he says an intake and/or exhaust really helps on the 5.4, but all I have done is a freer flowing air filter element.
The towing tune changes the shift points ALOT and if I still had a trailer, it would be brilliant, but without one, it just seems to take forever to upshift.
Some time soon I will cue up the economy tune and give a report back on how it drives.
I was told by a v10 owner that the 93 performance tune was much better than the 87 performance tune, but I just wasn't sure when I bought my tuner that the difference would be nice enough for me to want to buy 30 gallons of premium gas at each fill up.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #10

Thanks for the feedback, and I'd also really like to hear your impressions of the economy tune once you've tried it. I would gladly trade performance for improved MPG when just "running around" in the van.

This is reminding me that I should contact 5-Star and see what the scoop is on the 1997-99 5.4 (I have a 1997). That said, I just towed a ~4500# trailer from Georgia to the PNW and I didn't find the shift points to be too onerous even without the tuner (I wasn't using overdrive though). Wouldn't have minded an extra gear, and I certainly didn't set any speed records going over the passes, but I did fine (and was able to monitor transmission temps thanks to my nifty new Scangauge, which I learned about through this forum ). But then maybe with the towing tune it would be even better.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote