Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #1

Got a Flowmaster Series 70 - DRONE!!

So, the shop got a Flowmaster Series 70 muffler with the 3" in and outlet. They did everything from the flange back all new. I was so excited when it was idling...

At 55-60mph there is such a drone it kills me. When taking off initially, my son says it sounds like a Honda with a fart can on it...

Anyone have any suggestions? Add a resonator or something??

I cannot stand the sound. I even YouTubed people with V10s and the 70 series and the sound isn't anything like that.

If the CAT happened to be removed, could that be it? Hypothetically speaking of course...

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Got a Flowmaster Series 70 - DRONE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard1
...When taking off initially, my son says it sounds like a Honda with a fart can on it..."

Could be the hangers, could be that the sound will change after a few thousand miles, could be some odd resonance. Have you talked to the install shop?

Herb
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #3

Try a new exhaust tip. I have some really annoying and over-powering drone right at 60 MPG when I first put the Banks kit on my van. I called Banks for advice, and they said try a different shaped tip. I went from a 5" straight tip, to a 4" curved tip angled about 45 rearward. This pretty much took care of that issue. There is still some mild drone when I'm towing a large trailer, but only in the driver's seat. I'm pretty sure I could tune that out more by playing with the exhaust pipe more, but it's not bad enough for me to spend the time chasing it.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #4

The hangers aren't going to make a drone like this. It is similar to Diesels when you put the muffler on backwards. It is coming right through the center of the van which is where the muffler is. Again, the sound coming from the rear from an external viewpoint is sounding like a fart can on a Civic as my wife and son were behind with windows up and following me home.

I haven't talked to the instal shop yet as I took it home last night.

I am thinking maybe the cat provided a slight resonator type application and with it gone, could be an issue.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
The hangers aren't going to make a drone like this. It is similar to Diesels when you put the muffler on backwards. It is coming right through the center of the van which is where the muffler is. Again, the sound coming from the rear from an external viewpoint is sounding like a fart can on a Civic as my wife and son were behind with windows up and following me home.

I am thinking maybe the cat provided a slight resonator type application and with it gone, could be an issue.
I took the cat out of my system, really no extra noise just a bit of turbo whistle, but you can't hear that inside the van. I have friends with full 4" systems and no cat, really doesn't sound much nosier.

Is it possible that the muffler is on backwards or is incorrect in some way? Could you put the stock muffler back on but keep the rest of the system just to see if it was that?
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
Quote:

I took the cat out of my system, really no extra noise just a bit of turbo whistle, but you can't hear that inside the van. I have friends with full 4" systems and no cat, really doesn't sound much nosier.

Is it possible that the muffler is on backwards or is incorrect in some way? Could you put the stock muffler back on but keep the rest of the system just to see if it was that?

I know with diesels, if you got the muffler one way, it would drone in the cabin, if the opposite, it would all exit the rear.

I will have to look and see if there is an arrow, but Flowmaster puts a bright orange sticker on showing inlet... Hopefully there is a way to tell if it is on correctly.

I called Flowmaster first today and they told me to try it out for a couple of hundred miles. They stated the V10s sound like V6s and that's why they tell everyone to do a Series 70. He was saying that the drone COULD be from the computer learning everything now that I have changed the muffler and such.

I downloaded the tune from my SCT and it seems to have a better sound at take off, but that 55-60 mph drone was still there.

I will see after a couple of hundred if it still does it, but will look to see if I can tell the flow and if backwards. If not, is anyone using a resonator before the muffler or after?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #7

So, it is in the right direction and from what everyone is telling me, I need to see about another muffler. I am being told the new Dynomax VT series is the better choice. Does anyone have one on a V10?

Also, instead of another $100 on a muffler and whatever labor involved cutting a welded muffler off and install, anyone using a resonator or know where I can get something that will work?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #8

Why don't you put the Cat back on? I'm suspecting that's why your results are so much worse than anyone else with that muffler.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Why don't you put the Cat back on? I'm suspecting that's why your results are so much worse than anyone else with that muffler.
It was pretty bad actually... Plus, I think I'd put on a resonator first... The old one was rusted pretty bad.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #10

I had a resonator intalled down stream from my Flowmaster 70 and I have little to now drone. I had Hansen Muffler in La Mesa CA install the exhaust including a "Y" connection where both the L R exhausts meet. That and JBA headers and a K&N and the rig runs just fine.
BillPa
See my album for pics
BillPa1 is offline   Reply With Quote