Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #1

He/Bigly van is a no go

Van is 6L 2009 with only 35k on it and today he quit going anywhere. Started fine, backed up fine, did little hill and onto the driveway fine, coasted down 1/4 mile long driveway to right hand bend and put foot on fuel pedal and listened to the engine rev. WTF??? Would not go anywhere but engine was running. Seems to have gotten into neutral and would not go into any drive or reverse gear. Would not even go into Park.

Moved shift lever through the range and felt and heard grinding noise in the shift column. Also noted but forgot to tell the dealer that when I moved to the Park position, the RPMs moved to zero. When I moved it to a drive gear position, the RPMs went back to the normal at idle. Electronic in nature I suspect but I am pertaining no mechanic. Had to call for a tow and he is now down at the local Ford dealer getting a look-see.

Any ideas on this one? Sure glad it didn't happen some place like the Maze, Death Valley or something.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #2

T-Case didn't accidentally get bumped into Neutral? Grinding noise sounds like the output shaft is actually spinning, and you're hearing the park pawl trying to engage.

I've never heard of the zero RPM issue however. New one to me.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #3

Did not even think of the shift lever for the 4x. I'll need to call them in the AM to ask them that but still... all that other stuff is very odd. John at Tonto Trails thinks something may have gotten chewed up by a rodent maybe cable into trans? Dunno.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Shit. T-case did get bumped into neutral. Only got charged half hour labor at the shop after I called them this AM and told them to check the T-case lever. Good thing AAA paid for the tow.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:08 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Wow---good outcome of what could have been a costly issue---glad it was nothing more than this!

My new-to-me '05 E350 2WD made it 350 miles from the dealer to home, not one issue the whole way. Two days and 0 miles later while driving to get it registered and tagged suddenly wouldn't go easily into reverse, when trying to shift into 3rd massive slippage and engine would rev until gas pedal was released. Manually shifting from 1st - 2nd worked well enough until it was limped to a shop where the entire 4R75E was rebuilt to the tune of $1400, very cheap for what was done by trusted mechanics.

Anyway glad it was nothing more!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:45 AM   #6

I am glad my case wasn't as bad as yours JWA. That would have sucked bigly.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #7

And the tow truck guy didn't have sense enough to check the T-case on a 4x4 vehicle before he towed it?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
And the tow truck guy didn't have sense enough to check the T-case on a 4x4 vehicle before he towed it?
While that sounds like good advice Scotty these days tow operators are mostly hands off on offering advice. Add in if they solve a small problem they miss out on the towing charges---sad but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I am glad my case wasn't as bad as yours JWA. That would have sucked bigly.
Well if there was an upside to my troubles it's that they began here in my home town rather than on the trip back from the dealer; can't imagine what those tow charges (out of my pocket) would have been.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
While that sounds like good advice Scotty these days tow operators are mostly hands off on offering advice. Add in if they solve a small problem they miss out on the towing charges---sad but true.
That's precisely what's wrong with the world. Money > fellow man.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
That's precisely what's wrong with the world. Money > fellow man.
I think it’s more that tow truck divers don’t know anything... they used to be garage owners and mechanics... now they are just drivers.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote