Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Garage
Help 6.0 won’t turn over after new batteries

OK so my Balmar battery monitor gave me a warning of low-voltage on my starting batteries. The monitor showed 8.2 V and when I tried to turn the truck over everything lit up like the batteries were fine but it would turn a quarter crank and stop. I replaced both batteries with Odyssey 950 CCA batteries. As soon as I was done I went to start the truck and again it turned a bit and the starter just stops. My rig had a new engine built to the hilt 20k ago by buds diesel in Orange County. My Googling of the inter-webs yielded a lot of topics about Hydro locking. Most of the issues were from bad EGR’s and coolant getting in there but I highly doubt that happened to me as this engine is basically new and my truck was running fine just three days ago. Has anyone experienced this as a failed starter? I have a WORLDPAC account and I’m ready to just go grab a 6.4 starter for this thing. Any shared experience would be really helpful.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #2

Garage
Mine was doing similar several months back; After I replaced the starting batteries the starter worked better - was still slow (and at times acted like it was struggling). Replaced with the Mahle starter and have had no issues since.
Note: My starter never actually failed like yours, but it got to the point it turned the engine slow enough, at times I had to turn the key twice before engine would catch.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #3

Garage
I ordered the 6.4 starter. Get it next week. Stay tuned.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:50 AM   #4

Hydrolocking is the first thing that came to my mind too. I would try rotating it by hand with a breaker bar. They can hydrolock from a stuck open injector too.

Turning the motor over with more starting power, if it is hydrolocked, will just lift the head...At least with stock head bolts.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #5

Garage
Ever feel like you want to crawl under your van and die..... It must be hydro locked. No go after new 6.4 starter. It won't budge. It ran like a scalded dog up until I parked it last week. What gives. How do I release the hydro lock sitting in my driveway?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #6

Garage
Beers in Tualatin!
Old 04-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Ever feel like you want to crawl under your van and die.....
YES !!!! got under the van several months ago for a look at possible loose wiring (that at the time may have been contributing to my periodic engine shut down) before I sprung for new wiring harness... that episode led to today's replacement of the propane tank.
At this point i believe the only thing my wallet will approve going forward is bailing wire & duct tape.
Hope someone is able to help you with your dilemma.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Ever feel like you want to crawl under your van and die..... It must be hydro locked. No go after new 6.4 starter. It won't budge. It ran like a scalded dog up until I parked it last week. What gives. How do I release the hydro lock sitting in my driveway?
Only way to get it turning again is to remove every glow plug. If fuel comes out of one, easy fix. New Injector. If coolant comes out... Well, not so easy but at least you already know that drill

Once you get the fluid out, you'll want to put all the plugs back in, and do a cranking cylinder contribution test (Ford calls it a relative compression test). That will tell you if you bent a valve or lifted the head trying to start it with the 6.4L starter. Even the stock starter can do it, when add some boost by jumping it with another rig and a battery pack at the same time. Ask me how I know It wasn't pretty. Good news... Since you didn't actually get it turned over, you might have avoided that damage.

If you pull all the glow plugs, and nothing comes out and/or it still won't turn over... something hard and made of metal is not longer occupying the space the space it was designed for...
Old 04-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #9

Garage
Carringb thanks for staying with me. I sold my 7.3 that you saw when we were at Prineville res a few years ago. I bought this van with a 6.0 as it has a basically brand new engine cryo built with head studs etc. So much for peace of mind. When I hit the key it did not budge so maybe thats better??? I'm really freaked out at the thought of hurting the motor. I'll get the glow plugs out after I return from NC on sunday. I've watched about 4 youtubes on it but none were vans. I'm hoping it's not a total nightmare. I did the fuel crossovers on my 7.3 and some parts were easier. Any thoughts on difficulty? I am recovering from a torn achilles and a frozen shoulder right now. This was not the droid I was looking for.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #10

When you hit the key, did it clunk or otherwise sound like it's trying? Because if the last starter was bad, or you have a loose connection causing it to not get enough amps, that loose connection still could be causing the new starter to not get enough amps and make it seem like its locked up.

That's why throwing a breaker bar on the crank can help narrow the cause of the no-crank condition. Or, at least, put an amp clamp on the starter lead, and make sure it's pulling the expected amps (probably 600 min this time of year).

Once you verify it's definitely locked up, glow plugs aren't the worst job in the world, but certainly not easy to get too. The big problem is breaking off the connectors. Hopefully when they put the motor in, they put new glow plug harnesses in too. Then they won't be as brittle. And, you'll want to avoid kinking the wires, since they can break internally too. Once the connectors are off, it's just like changing spark plugs. Certainly not a good job to tackle with a bad shoulder. Or even an achilles injury without having a lift to put the van on.

I'd swing by to take a look, but I'm doing a project in Twin Falls right now.