Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 01:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivelawn View Post
@TomsBeast: I think the transcooler is bad because I see what I believe is transmission fluid buildup/gunk along the bottom rim (before it leaves towards the lines). I also brought the vehicle to a transmission shop and they thought it needed replacement (but you know...who knows if they're just motivated by $)

I ask that because it's super-common for the hose clamp connection to leak as the hose ages. A small 'weep' collects at the lowest point, there's a lot of air swirling around near the grill. Often a little tightening of the clamp slows the leak down, usually replacing the aged hose does the trick. Unless the cooler is cracked. I'd replace the hose, but that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivelawn View Post
Anyone have any experience with this Dorman part?

FYI: Generally speaking, Dorman is recognized as 2nd quality. Not horrible, but usually not OEM.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #22

Quick comment, if you want to drop the pan its easy to disconnect the return line, pump that into a pan (Kovalsky flush earlier), then drop the empty pan....
Very tidy....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #23

Apologies for the delay. Finally a pic of the transcooler in question. No doubt it would help for me to clean all of this up to help get a better idea of where it is actually leaking from, but does this pic help determine if the cooler itself is leaking?

olivelawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #24

Ok, I have 15 quarts of mercon V, filter kit, and a replacement transcooler on the way. Newb question. I'm doing this as a 1 man job and am planning on sticking to the Kovalsky method: https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...-transmission/ I'm not completely committed to changing the filter at this point, but I would like to drop the pan. I *think* I want to do the transcooler replacement first, then fluid exchange/drop the pan next correct?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #25

Changing the filter is trivial if you drop the pan. I would drain the pan per comment above, then change the cooler/filter, then continue the flush process. That way the fluid gets removed thru a hose (Kovalsky), when the cooler gets removed there "may" not be as much fluid draining down from its connections (not positive on that but it cannot hurt to drain pan first). You run the engine in neutral initially draining into a measurable container so you know how much to replace (makes refilling amount easy). clip the vinyl drain tubing (or other) to the waste container (vice grips?). You should be able to reach the keys to start from the outside of the van, pump the fluid out, watch for bubbles, then reach in to shut engine off. Easy smeasy....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #26

I purchased several aftermarket transcoolers. They all arrived, but none of them look like the existing part. The closest fit is the Dorman one, but it is 2" shorter in height than the original. I'm concerned it won't cool the fluid as well with less surface area. Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #27

I would not downsize the cooler. Also, don't put in a Tube-and-fine style cooler. These are pretty well known to trash the Ford transmissions because they cause too much pressure drop.

Sorry I didn't see your newest pic previously, but it does look like it's seeping at the hose clamp, which is very common. Easiest fix is trimming an inch or two of hose and re-clamping.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #28

Remember, this is just my opinion BUT Dorman would be a very last possible option.

My friend owned a transmission shop and also rebuilt hot rods. I had him order a Summit Racing deep aluminum finned pan for my transmission and a large external oil cooler along with a trans temperature gauge as I haul a travel trailer or a boat with my van. In the peak summer temperatures, the trans temperature has never exceeding 180 degrees while towing. Without towing, the temperature gauge only moves when in stop and go traffic.

When I had modified cars before, I always had great service with Summit Racing.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #29

ok, I'm getting ready to do this using the Kovalsky method. I think I clamp the hose all the way back at the transmission. I see two places where the lines connect to the tranny. I'm not sure which one I clamp to. If I run the car for a bit, do I want to connect to the hot or cold one? Here is a pick of what I'm looking at pretty close to the pan.

online coin tosser
Old 03-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #30

Duh, I thought about this for a minute, and pretty sure gotta connect to cold line.