Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #21
Site Team

Re: How Low Can You Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpalump
Gas engines should not be run low either. The fuel return line returns hot fuel and the pump needs cool fuel to keep it cool. Running it almost out all the time shortens the intank fuel pump life.
Agree. If there's any crud in a fuel tank, be it gas or diesel, running it very low is a good way to pull the crud into the fuel system, which at best-case, will get trapped by the fuel filter.

Herb

Old 08-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #22

How Low Can You Go?

I can comment on the computer cut-out. I had the opportunity to test it last summer. If memory serves, about 50 miles past low fuel light the computer started cutting the engine at regular intervals. It reminded me of a Z28 I had with a limiter at 110 mph (only tested under very safe track conditions of course). When I stopped to fill it took about 45 gallons. Point being that the computer DEFINITELY stepped in with a physical warning prior to running out of fuel.

Mine is an '09 6.0 with the Transferflow tank. Hope that helps.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
I can comment on the computer cut-out. I had the opportunity to test it last summer. If memory serves, about 50 miles past low fuel light the computer started cutting the engine at regular intervals. It reminded me of a Z28 I had with a limiter at 110 mph (only tested under very safe track conditions of course). When I stopped to fill it took about 45 gallons. Point being that the computer DEFINITELY stepped in with a physical warning prior to running out of fuel.

Mine is an '09 6.0 with the Transferflow tank. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the answer. Hopefully that's what Tom experianced and no harm was done to his engine.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #24

Tank does have a label confirming that it is 46 gallons. The stock guage is now not linear in its display.. Ex. 1/2 tank = about 25 gallons. 1/4 tank= 12-14 in my experience. Ditto on bad idea suggestions on running then down to low.. just good to know..
GoProCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #25

There is a low fuel light???

The airtronics diesel heater won't work below 1/4 so I have never come close to empty.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
I wanted to find out far I could drive after the low fuel light came on. Including two or three cold starts, I was only able to go 50 miles until it started missing--I had five gallons with me so I wouldn't be stranded. Sportsmobile told me my rig has a 47 gallon tank, not true. Forty is what it took.

Fun driving for 20+ miles with the gauge below E.

Z
I know I've mentioned this elsewhere, but perhaps not on this thread: When I fill my 47-gallon tank, I find that the extra fuel goes "above" the Full line, not "below" the Empty, despite what Sportsmobile told me. But, filling that extra 10 gallons above Full can be difficult -- tediously slow unless you modify your tank's breather hose.

-- Geoff
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Yeah, and if you fill really slow and don't watch it, it spills ot the breather tube

Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #28

I see the low fuel light come now and then when it hits about E on the gauge. I know it's iffy because I never put in more than 2 gallons after it clicks off so I don't know how may miles I have left at E. I don't think I've ever put in more than 40 gallons. I've never had it cut out though so I wonder what the logic the computer is using as input? Low fuel light + some amount of miles? I think I've done 20 or 30 miles on the light thinking I probably had 100 miles left. No Espar so no 1/4 tank worry's.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage

Screw that low fuel light. Hell I don't want to suck from the pit anyway. I'd like it to come on just above a 1/4 tank...That would mean something to me or my Espar stuff at least

Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #30

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Screw that low fuel light. Hell I don't want to suck from the pit anyway. I'd like it to come on just above a 1/4 tank...That would mean something to me or my Espar stuff at least
The checklist that SMB provided me says "D-5 System - Be sure fuel is above 1/8 tank". Maybe the criteria changed?