Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #1

How many miles should I expect out of my BFG's?

I'm still running the original 265/75/16 BFG AT KO's that came on my '06 SMB, after 38k miles. They still have some decent tread left, and I was planning to replace them in the Summer. But with the snow/ice I am starting to notice a loss of some traction, and wondering if I should not try to be so thrifty. My question is, how many miles should I expect before having to replace them? Should I just be glad I got to 38k with no problems and get it over with?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #2

Re: How many miles should I expect out of my BFG's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckee5
I'm still running the original 265/75/16 BFG AT KO's that came on my '06 SMB, after 38k miles. They still have some decent tread left, and I was planning to replace them in the Summer. But with the snow/ice I am starting to notice a loss of some traction, and wondering if I should not try to be so thrifty. My question is, how many miles should I expect before having to replace them? Should I just be glad I got to 38k with no problems and get it over with?
This is hugely subjective and will vary widely based on driving habits, conditions, etc......

That said, I replaced my BFGs at 'only' 30k miles. Tread was getting a bit thin and with the weight of these vans, stretching another season from my tires was far less important than maximizing safety and peace of mind.

Rob
Old 01-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. That's exactly what I was thinking. If it was summer I'd probably push them a couple thousand more miles, but... I just ordered a set of BFG AT's KO 285/75/16, and stepping up to the E rating this time, based on all the recommendations on this forum.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #4

OK got the new BFG's mounted today. Big-O - great deal and they've always given me great service. BUT, when they were mounting the tires they somehow managed to peel away a significant chunk of the black powdercoating on ALL 4 of my American Racing ATX/Teflon wheels!

Didn't notice til I got home, went back, and the service tech admitted he was responsible. They were great about offering to take care of it, and will talk to the owner and call me back tomorrow. My question is - how can they be repaired? SMB told me to call American Racing, who in turn told me to call my dealer Has anyone run into this? Or tried re-powdercoating them? I'd like to have an understanding of the options before they call me back. Not too excited about just turning them over and hoping they do a good job. These wheels weren't cheap...
Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
That said, I replaced my BFGs at 'only' 30k miles. Tread was getting a bit thin and with the weight of these vans, stretching another season from my tires was far less important than maximizing safety and peace of mind.
Same here. At 30k, they still had some tread left, but not as much as I'd like for offroad/snow traction.

Quote:
...they somehow managed to peel away a significant chunk of the black powdercoating on ALL 4 of my American Racing ATX/Teflon wheels!
Yikes!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
I feel that's great. I'm on my 2nd set of BFG-AT's at 40K but I'm rough on tires. The bad thing about my mileage is I have a trailer I rotate in with the vans tires. At least I haven't had to purchase new spares or trailer tires yet but probably next go around. Sorry to hear about your rims.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #7

Gary, I have the BFG's in 315 size and will be getting new ones this summer at around 27,000 miles. Lots of tread left, but I too am tough on tires. I always replace tires with at least 1/4 to 1/3 of tread remaining. Kind of like an insurance policy. Just the way I do it.
As far as your wheels go, if the scratch is just in the powder coat, a powder coater can bead blast then and recoat and they'll look as good as new. But, I'd sure check with the manufacturer before going that route. I'd want their OK before exposing the wheels to heat like that. If the scratch goes into the aluminum, there will always be a blemish there. That being the case, I'd tell Big-O to replace 'em. They can always sell your wheels to someone else who is OK with the scratch cause they're getting a good deal, but no way you should have to live with them. Bad enough when you ding 'em yourself on a rock, but at a tire shop?? NO WAY!! Sic 'em....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #8

Haha 'sic'em'... thanks for the pep talk; I agree, man. Come to think of it they were supposed to call today and haven't yet....
Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #9

I have 31K and over 4 years on my BFG All Terrains (33-295's) They are cracking and have big chunks missing out of them from desert rocks. While the tread could probably go another 5000+ miles I'l be replacing them soon with an E rated BFG. I have never had a tire problem with BFG All and Mud terrains and this is my 3rd set now (2 from my pickup truck).
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
They are cracking and have big chunks missing out of them from desert rocks. Pat
Yep same here, chunks and lugs missing... that sucks. It's one of the reasons I had to change mine but the tread was gettin low. Some of it was from rock climbing but I was surprised what the desert does.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote