Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Rebuilt steering box or New? [for V10 2011 Quigley/Agile RIP/ OEM wheels]
Rebuilt steering box? 1 33.33%
New steering box? 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

I need a Steering gear box, info appreciated

I'm just today decided to go with a rebuild box...

Shenrie mentioned in another thread about going with a redhead box-

any wisdom to share, or input?

TIA

Old 08-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #2

I'm needing to replace mine too. I installed a no-name rebuild from the local autoparts store about two years ago, and it's now shot. When you move the steering wheel back and forth, the sector shaft wobbles. It has a lifetime warranty, but that does little good if I just get another crappy rebuild. Redhead seems to have a good reputation, so my plan is to give them a try. I won't get any satisfaction from the warranty, but hopefully it will be the last time I have to deal with this.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

I've heard good things about Redhead.

All Econolines are hard on them, especially 4wds.

Some have had really bad luck. I think Ramsey put 3 or 4 on Brent Haywood's van a few years back trying to get it to behave.

Good luck!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #4

I went redhead a few months back, but I don't drive enough to be a good judge of durability.
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I think Ramsey put 3 or 4 on Brent Haywood's van a few years back trying to get it to behave. Good luck!
I'll check with Brent to get his thoughts.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 AM   #6

Thank you Gentlemen! All I need to know is that a rebuilt generic has not served well on 2 known occasions. This is such valuable information.

It would be great to hear from your friend Brent about his satisfaction. Shenrie rang up his friend who put a Redhead in also (Hmmm- same person?).

The Redhead gear website has selection mode but I don't see SuperDuty version of E-series so will work with my mechanic and the Redhead company to get the right one

Even when I haven't been active lately, y'all respond right away- I love this forum!

(Add: Found mention of the Redhead brand on Ford Truck Enthusiasts, with good results.)
Old 08-07-2018, 02:28 AM   #7

NavyNuke- Do you have a SuperDuty? Was your part order straightforward?

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNuke View Post
I went redhead a few months back, but I don't drive enough to be a good judge of durability.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:13 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post

Even when I haven't been active lately, y'all respond right away- I love this forum!

(Add: Found mention of the Redhead brand on Ford Truck Enthusiasts, with good results.)
You're a good egg, have a great reputation here and given this forum in general is usually quick to respond to any call for help its not surprising help can be found here.

So anyway AnnieO a few years ago I looked into Redhead steering boxes, they said at the time they didn't have a rebuildable core in stock, I'd have to supply one for them to use. My contact there did offer to send a list of compatible vehicles from which I could pull one, seems the appropriate box was used on some years of the F-Series too. Well worth a call to them for a quick discussion---they don't always list what they have or can do with Ford boxes.

I will share back in 2013 my work-only E250 EB 2wd needed a new box @ 177 K miles---the original had developed a very small leak at the bottom, I opted for the costly Ford reman'd unit, a full $100 more than NAPA et al offerings. All was well for about 86K miles when the replaced box blew a seal quite unexpectedly, not a single drop or leak until it erupted a fountain of PS fluid in a fellow glassman's parking lot.

I replaced that box with one of NAPA's parts, wasn't going to spend more money a second time if Ford's reman's parts are no better than my experience. Cost about $180 out-the-door.

FWIW Redhead has a stellar reputation and if the 4WD suspension is tough on steering gear I'd go with them as I'm sure their quality control is part of their success. I'm not sure if a brand new box is available through Ford or any other parts network, nearly all I've encountered were all reman'd. If I'm mistaken there someone please correct me, perhaps a link too?

The only downside dealing with Redhead is all the back and forth shipping----these boxes aren't light weight pieces.

Let us know your progress and choice---best of luck with this!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:41 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
It would be great to hear from your friend Brent about his satisfaction. Shenrie rang up his friend who put a Redhead in also (Hmmm- same?)
Nope different peoples. I’ve reached out to 2 local potato heads here in boise that I know have picked up the redhead boxes, but neither have gotten back to me as of yet. Both are members here, and coincidentally both have their vans up for sale. If either get back to me I’ll post up their thoughts.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:46 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
An afterthought AnnieO..................

If you can do without your van for a while and your van's steering box is original to the chassis talk to your mechanic and Redhead about sending them that box. Most likely they could/would do a quick turn around.

This occurs to me only because Redhead would have a high quality core to work with---retrieving a used part doesn't guarantee its OEM Ford. Sending them a junk part not worthy of repair would be costly, frustrating and even more time consuming.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote