Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Rebuilt steering box or New? [for V10 2011 Quigley/Agile RIP/ OEM wheels]
Rebuilt steering box? 1 33.33%
New steering box? 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #11

Not a van, but I have an 03 F250 7.3 that wouldn't steer, part of the problem was upper and lower ball joints, after I was done with that job, it still seemed like the steering couldn't find center, these solid axle front ends don't steer that great anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and install a Red Head, the truck now steers better than it did the day I bought it, and I would recommend one to anybody who thought they needed a new box.

FVShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
NavyNuke- Do you have a SuperDuty? Was your part order straightforward?

Thank you
No it's an E350 but not a superduty. Call redhead they will get back to you and confirm application. They are a small shop so customer service is still handled in house and important to them.

Came with prepaid shipping for my core too.
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #13

Quote:
It would be great to hear from your friend Brent about his satisfaction.
Brent tells me he did not end up with a Redhead box, and he still has issues. I called Redhead today and mentioned that my 2001 does not show up on their website. It turns out thats because Ford used a couple different boxes in 2001 (and other years too) The difference is the spline count, either 32 or 36. They have both in stock, I just need to count the number of splines. I also mentioned that when I installed the rebuilt unit, my steering wheel was no longer centered. He said it's possible I installed a box with a 32 spline sector shaft with a 36 spline pitman arm. It doesn't seem possible, but he said he has seen it happen hundreds of times. It fits, but it's not right. When we discussed my crappy steering, he said often times the budget rebuilds are adjusted too tight to compensate for excessive play, resulting in less than optimum steering. I'll be getting a Redhead and replacing the ball joints too, sometime prior to Baja in November.........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #14

Garage
+1 for Redhead boxes from me here too --- I've bought 'em twice now.

With the first RedHead box (put into a '95 E250), it performed flawlessly right out of the box. Very tight and still smooth.

The second time I bought a RedHead box it went into an '02 E350 Super Duty...and didn't seem "quite right" with how the box was steering. But RedHead stood behind it --- they walked me through some tests of the box, and based on what was found, they agreed it didn't meet their expectations either, so they immediately shipped me a replacement box before either the core or the first Redhead box had been even sent back to them.

Customer service is definitely their forte (at least in my experience), they will spend lots of time with you on the phone to sort things out (and take action if necessary) if you have any issues.

Nice as heck guys (and at least one lady) on the phone too!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #15

Garage
ok. heard back from my buddy. we used to race together so we are very like minded when it comes to vehicles and how they should steer. it was the main reason i wanted to chat with him about his experience with redhead. he said he now has roughly 10k miles on his and is very happy with the redhead unit. mentioned that it did unmask a bad balljoint, but once that was replaced he said the steering is super precise and crisp...which is what ive been waiting to hear. especially from someone i know thinks very similar to how i do about vehicles and how they should work.

he also said that the entire buying experience was top notch with redhead. super easy to deal with and very prompt with responses. in this world or crappy service, its always nice getting feedback like that from him and others that have mentioned the same thing in this thread.

another thing he said is sometimes you wont always get a full core refund and to read what they have on their site thoroughly. if your current box isnt 100% rebuildable or has broken parts in it, that will be deducted from your core charge. good info up front

and thanks artictraveller. after skimming over their site thats the exact info i was needing next regarding spline counts and availability for years older than 08.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #16

Another plug for the Redhead box.
Replaced the worn out steering box on my 1997 E350 7.3 EB with the Redhead a few years ago and the driving experience was transformed. Still works beautifully, smooth, tight, positive. It's what I will install in my 2006 when the time comes.
motoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #17

Garage
I've got a Redhead on mine as well and it has performed well so far. We had a mishap on the race course out in Barstow and actually twisted the sector shaft on the stock box. We had the Redhead ported as well for a future hydro assist install, but I'm not happy with the location of the ports as they both contact other critical items (ABS hardlines and the coolant hose junction).

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #18

Quote:
I'm just today decided to go with a rebuild box...

Shenrie mentioned in another thread about going with a redhead box-

any wisdom to share, or input?

TIA
Redhead! I have put them in the last two vans I owned. World of difference in terms of "lack of wander" from the box. First time was on my 95 Sportsmobile after wearing out/slopping out a Autozone or Oreillys reman box in a year. First redhead didn't seem any different in terms of wear after 100K+....They tolerance more closely than the original Ford specs, and sometimes (depending on box design) use more (smaller) bearings if I remember correctly. Current van one of the first steering fixes I did. Have about 30k on it and it works as it should......Here is a very long thread

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ing-fix-5.html

and another
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...p-on-e350.html
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #19

I'm another satisfied RedHead customer. It really tightened up my steering (which also required servicing my wheel bearings which had a loose bolt to boot, plus replacing my track bar bushings and tightened bolts on Pitman arm to improve steering wander). After all those fixes, I drove 'midwest' highway speeds of 70-80 (under otherwise perfect conditions ... I often slow down to Truck speed limit) without complete comfort.

It's 13 months and 16k miles since I installed the RedHead. It's still in perfect shape and hasn't developed a seal leak as had been a concerning occasional repeat QA issue according to various threads and certain Seattle mechanics. I don't know if that issue has been resolved, or still happens occasionally, but the trick is to keep an eye on it to watch for drips of any kind. I found a mechanic/installer in the same town as RedHead who happened to provide a nationwide support/warranty as a part of their general service, so I knew how to handle any potential RedHead issue ahead of time. I was a bit concerned, driving across country immediately after installing the RH, of the complexity of dealing with a new mechanic and shipping parts back and forth from Washington state. Thankfully, I've had no issues.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by achop View Post
I'm another satisfied RedHead customer. It really tightened up my steering (which also required servicing my wheel bearings which had a loose bolt to boot, plus replacing my track bar bushings and tightened bolts on Pitman arm to improve steering wander). After all those fixes, I drove 'midwest' highway speeds of 70-80 (under otherwise perfect conditions ... I often slow down to Truck speed limit) without complete comfort.
I meant, drove those high speeds WITH complete comfort!