View Poll Results: Rebuilt steering box or New? [for V10 2011 Quigley/Agile RIP/ OEM wheels]
Rebuilt steering box? 1 50.00%
New steering box? 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #21

Dang, I wish we had a 'Redhead' for all of the crappy parts that can ONLY be found remanufactured. It blows my mind in dealing with a few problems on my new Transit that there are no NEW Ford parts, they are all reman'd! Seriously, no kidding. You cannot get a NEW torque converter for a Transit and they are failing at an alarming rate. Ford will keep your van for a month while they send your OEM one off to get reman'd. It begs the question, what exactly are they putting in new vans? Magic dust? Aren't they making the damn things? I hate corporations. Inevitably we all lose while the CEO plays golf.

...My name is Eric and I have a van problem...
Make me an offer on one!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #22

Another satisfied redhead steer gear customer here.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #23

Hello and I see my thread has been a very busy place! Spoke with Redhead- asked about using a truck box with the 4x4 conversion on a super duty... HE recommended the reman 2011 OEM will handle Hellbetty. Have several in stock. (OK dont you all order them all up now!)

ANYHOW I will be in Columbus OH next week with my grandson, and I decided I really should call the shop in Plain City OH who has been in biz for a long time. I visited there in May because they sell 4x4 accessories and I like the place, good rep too.

Outcome is I agreed with the Plain City OH manager for him to go over the suspension/steering Monday morning before I order a Redhead gearbox. Only thing is I am skeered it will be even more expensive! But I like the idea of getting a second opinion, especially since OH shop manager has put Redhead gearboxes in several Fords.

Will keep yall posted on progress.

BTW: Don't HOLD BACK Eric! Tell us how you really feel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Dang, I wish we had a 'Redhead' for all of the crappy parts that can ONLY be found remanufactured. It blows my mind in dealing with a few problems on my new Transit that there are no NEW Ford parts, they are all reman'd! Seriously, no kidding. You cannot get a NEW torque converter for a Transit and they are failing at an alarming rate. Ford will keep your van for a month while they send your OEM one off to get reman'd. It begs the question, what exactly are they putting in new vans? Magic dust? Aren't they making the damn things? I hate corporations. Inevitably we all lose while the CEO plays golf.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #24

Great info especially for mechanical underinformed peeps like myself.

The Ohio shop was in agreement on needing steering box, was glad I had done my research on the Redhead, and wants to add steering stabilizer, which I had planned to ask about anyhow after scouring some forum photos here. He is specifying dual fox and Iím not totally sure how his design varies from Agile Off Roads spec. On other projects Iíve had 2 shops say Sure Thing Ann we will install what you order after showing them product and instructions from awesome suppliers I have found through this forum. This current shop is a 4x4 and restoration shop tho and does great work too.

Anyhow, box+SS+alignment= $ approaching my new average shop cost for HellBetty. Fingers crossed anything additional such as control arm will be kept low. I know I know bite my tongue! .

I Really need to return to more time camping than researching & talking to mechanics, body shops, glass shops ETC 🐯 And paint faster so I can start selling paintings again. Yíknow-To pay for my Van habit.

Gearbox Scheduled for Tuesday
Old 08-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #25

Garage
iirc, agile offers both 1 and 2 stabilizer options, but i could be wrong. i have the single and am happy with it thus far. was a noticeable improvement over my worn out rancho.

report back on how you like the redhead. always like seeing real world reviews

i cant quite commit to get my box ordered/replaced just yet. having only one income with the wife still outta work delays purchases like this longer than id like, but mama comes first
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #26

I would expect a single steering damper to be adequate unless there are other underlying issues. You often see big trucks with massive lifts and huge tires running multiple dampers, but that just masks bigger problems with steering geometry or worn components.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
www.arctictraveller.com
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #27
RCR

Redheads are best, when the curtains match the drapes
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 AM   #28
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote: