Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Installing fuel line for heater (diesel)

Looking to install diesel heater (Planar). Need to install feed from fuel tank, 1/4" line. Wondering if there is an extra "bung" or a way to access fuel other than drilling into tank. Really hard to see anything on top of fuel tank. Looks like there is a vent of some sort front and rear of tank. There is a 3/8" or so cap on both of them. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks..kt

telehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #2

Re: Installing fuel line for heater (diesel)

Forgot to mention, I have a 01 7.3 with Quigley conversion, stock modified tank, cheers....
Old 11-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #3

I took something like this into the fuelline direktly after the conector at the tank
It is the easiest way and works perfect
Attached Thumbnails
t-stueck_6mm.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

thanks for the reply. All indications are that the fuel pump is in the tank, with steel lines coming out. My questions are: Can you, or did you cut the line and put the "T" in the metal line with rubber hose each side? Also, is it ok to put the heater line after the fuel pump? I just noticed there is another thread going on also, sorry if this one is in the wrong place. Thanks again...kt
Old 11-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

If your pump is in the tank you have two ways to go.
1: you need a new supply line. There are some built for this from the heater companys
....somethink like this:

or this is easier to install. direkt into the fuel filler line

2: you can take a "TEE" as shown befor and install it into the return line of your van.
thats the easiest job, but the problem is that your heater maybe will only work for 1 hour or so.

Some heaters have there own reservoir for the fuel which is filled up during driving. In that case you also can make a "TEE" behind the pump. Otherwise i think the pump from the heater will not be able to suck fuel though the pump.

If you install a "TEE" yes just cut the metal line and rubber hoses each side. You should fix it well with clamps because if it is able to suck air throuh it you will get problems.

BTW: my 7.3 from 2001 has an external fuel pump ???? And there i took the "TEE" between tank and pump.

Soory guys for my bad english....i am german ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
$(KGrHqIOKjYE3QRb,706BN9lYmsL9!~~_12.JPG   $T2eC16JHJGoE9nuQeWR7BRR)UOqnYw~~60_12.JPG  
Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #6

Thanks for taking time to reply. Yes I do have the heater inlet line like the top photo you posted. I really do not want to drill into the tank, I am curious about the other???? I am still unsure if the pump is in the tank or not. I am pretty sure that it is external, approx. 18" in front of tank in the frame. Did you cut the metal fuel line to put the "T" in? kt
Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #7

I used the tap type and added it in the sending unit/pump mount (mine is Gas) and while I did have to drop the tank, the tank is not modified just the removable sending unit.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #8

Telehead, i put the "TEE" into the rubertube. 2" distance of Outlet conector of the tank. I prefer that place because than the fuel line of the heater is also in an protected area.
But it is a hard place to get.....so you also can go to an place further forward. It is no problem to cut the metal line. I did it several times before on other cars.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

Cool! I am leaning towards making a "T" or "Y" like the bottom picture. I am thinking about going in through the vent line. Gotta find some silver solder. More later.... I would show pic, but that is another thing I have to figure out.... It is not easy being a dumbass....
Old 11-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #10

Just another suggestion: Drop the tank. (And make sure you inspect it for delamination/peeling).

The diesel tank (which you should replace before it delaminates and ruins your injectors) is the same tank used for gasoline. It has two light blue plastic ports on top which are not used on the diesel.

I dropped the tank, removed one light blue port plug (twist to remove), put the port plug on a work bench vise, drilled a 1/4" hole in it, inserted my Webasto 1/4" tubing, E6300 Adhesived it, and reinstalled the tank. That part is working perfectly to this day.

BTW, two years later my tank delaminated and ruined my injectors. (Nothing to do with the heater, this is a well-known catastrophic failure.) That is why I suggest starting with a new (possibly U-Joint) replacement tank.

See:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11837 ... -tank.html

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10572&hilit=+painted

BTW, fuel pump is on the driver's side frame rail on the 7.3L Powerstroke, not in the tank.

If you buy a new tank or do the Hutch and the Harpoon Mod on your existing tank, you should add the Racor PS120-02 filter/strainer just before the fuel pump to compensate for the removal of the in-tank pickup screens.

See:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12028 ... ainer.html
Attached Thumbnails
OEM fuel filter with fine paint particles after being macerated by fuel pump.jpg   Clogged Intank Pickup Foot.jpg  
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote