Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #1

Is 5.4L on way out?

I got an e-mail response from a major RV manufacturer that they were using only the V10 for a smaller motorhome because they expected it would be around longer than the 5.4L V8. To improve fuel economy they got Ford to change the axle ratio instead.

Any information on future of Ford 5.4L V8? Or on how long V10 will likely be around for that matter?

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Is 5.4L on way out?

Most likely the V10's will be around as RPO's until the E-Series is finally laid to rest. Supposedly when the Transit hits the streets full-body E-Series will be replaced, the cab/chassis or cutaways only being available. Not sure how this will affect the 5.4 we're accustomed to though.

Last I heard 2014 was the last year for a full body E-Series.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #3

The little bit that I can find on this topic is that the V10 may continue longer because it is used on heavier duty applications like Ford F-650 trucks and also F53 motorhome chassis where Ford may not have a viable replacement.

In heavy duty pickup trucks, Ford seems to have already replaced both the 5.4L V8 and 6.8L V10 with the newer 6.2L V8. But for whatever reason, use of the 6.2L V8 engine hasn’t extended to larger truck and motorhome applications. I read a lot of “opinions” on how Ford could increase the V8’s displacement in order to replace the V10 but at this point it all seems speculation.

And that leaves the 5.4L V8 in Econolines and Expeditions (not sure if I’m missing any other model). Well, the Econoline is going away, and there is talk that the Expedition will be switching to EcoBoost V6 much like the F150 did. So it sounds like the 5.4L may only have a couple of years left. For that matter, I’m not sure if the 4.6L V8 will survive given the newer 5.0L for automotive use. These engines may die along with the Econoline.

Hope some of you have insight into these engines’ future.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

The 5.4 is also used in the E-350/450 stripped chassis for commercial applications. I can't figure out Ford's reasoning either, as far as the the V-10 not being offered in the F-Series but still in the E-Series. And why can't we get the 6.2 in a van?

As an alternative to a SMB, we had considered an F-250 4x4 SC, short bed (and a Hallmark pop-up camper). I was doing the whole "build-your-own" thing on the Ford webpage and was perplexed about why the V-10 wasn't available. Huh?

I do like the 5.4 engine. I think I mentioned here before that when I moved from SoCal to Michigan, the Penske truck (an E-350 with a 16' box) we rented had a 5.4. Fully loaded with a few rooms-worth of furniture and a 3000 lb. car on a full car trailer (not a tow dolly) the van performed impressively over the Rocky Mountains. I was shocked when I popped the hood and saw that it was "only" a 5.4.

Another mystery is why the 5.4 can only be had with the 4-speed automatic in an E-350 van but the cab-chassis/cutaway on a 350 chassis will let you get the 5.4 and 5-speed auto...
Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark
The 5.4 is also used in the E-350/450 stripped chassis for commercial applications. I can't figure out Ford's reasoning either, as far as the the V-10 not being offered in the F-Series but still in the E-Series. And why can't we get the 6.2 in a van?
All MDTs, including the F450 up et the V10 because it has a longer lifespan under the commercial duty test cycle. That's also why Ford uses the Cummins (or V10) in the F650 and not their own diesel. That's probably also why Ford won't offer the EcoBoost in cutaway or cab/chassis Transit.... Just can't meet duty-cycle targets for commercial use. Because of the common chassis for all E-series, it wouldn't make as much sense for Ford to use different power-trains for vans vs E450 cutaways. With the F-series the cab/chassis use a completely different frame from the pickups. It's not even the same width.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Also the same reason why the motorhome chassis (Class A's) get a different (higher-output) V-10 (3-valve versus 2 per cylinder). Then again, those engines don't have to meet any CAFE requirements and the emission regulation standards are lower and subject to less certification steps.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
All MDTs, including the F450 up et the V10 because it has a longer lifespan under the commercial duty test cycle. That's also why Ford uses the Cummins (or V10) in the F650 and not their own diesel. That's probably also why Ford won't offer the EcoBoost in cutaway or cab/chassis Transit.... Just can't meet duty-cycle targets for commercial use. Because of the common chassis for all E-series, it wouldn't make as much sense for Ford to use different power-trains for vans vs E450 cutaways. With the F-series the cab/chassis use a completely different frame from the pickups. It's not even the same width.
I get why a small 3.5 liter turbo can't replace a 6.8L V10 due to duty cycle, but why can't the 6.2L V8? Even if they had to increase it to around 7 liters.

Also, what's the durability difference between a 5.4 and 6.8? Are they not the same except 2 extra cylinders? If so, would a V8 last as long at 80 percent of V10 load?

For what it's worth, the RV I questioned in the OP has an E-350 chassis with 12,500 pound gross weight rating. Seems to me that a 5.4L V8 would have been enough. It's actually the standard engine for that chassis rating.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Also the same reason why the motorhome chassis (Class A's) get a different (higher-output) V-10 (3-valve versus 2 per cylinder). Then again, those engines don't have to meet any CAFE requirements and the emission regulation standards are lower and subject to less certification steps.
Plus with potential to overheat the engine compartment when 305 HP are working hard, I'm not sure more power would be a good idea for the Econolines.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #9

John at Quadvan had a 6.2L out of a Raptor that a customer wanted installed in his van. They hadn't done the swap yet when I was there (last March or so) but John had commented that it was going to be a really tight fit based off of the measurements he had done.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote