Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #1

Garage
K&N air filter, anyone?

I'm thinking of using a K&N air filter on the 6.0L diesel. I'm not interested in a performance increase, just better air filtering when I'm driving on very dusty dirt roads. Do Diesels benefit? Is this a warranty breach?

Old 07-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Jeffrey,

Personally, I'd avoid K&N, or any other oiled filter, if you'll be in dusty environments. They can gunk up (that's a scientific term) rather quickly. Additionally, with any oiled filters, unless you're VERY good about cleaning them and reoiling them on a regular basis, you will compromise performance and longevity.

I've heard second and third hand stories of denied factory warranty claims from aftermarket intakes and filters, but I can't vouch for their authenticity. There is a Federal law that states that a manufacturer cannot deny warranty claims without proving that the aftermarket part caused the failure, but they have much deeper pockets and more lawyers than you or I, so they can easily wait you out.

Herb
Old 07-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
The Oil from the K&N can dirty up the MAF Wire also.. and affect performance. I have a K&N on other vehicles but not on my 4x4 vehicles that see sand and dirt..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #4

Garage
I've heard of all kinds of stories of gunk and intake worries. Most people using them don't know how to properly oil them, and always apply too much. Just a very thin coating will do. If you think you under-oiled, then you got it right. Still, dealers must consider every user a bozo and they yank them out of vehicles under warranty (no, not the owners). Maybe not all, but it happened to me with my Range Rover.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Site Team

A tough decision. Air flow is generally inverse to filtering ability.

Yeah, with any oiled-media filter, it's all how well they're oiled and how well they're mantained. For a vehicle I plan on having a long time, I'll stick with paper filters.

Herb
Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 AM   #6

Re: K&N air filter, anyone?

Jeffrey;

This was a "Ford Q & A" that was recently released and posted by a
Ford diesel tech on another site.
This seems to sum things up pretty good.

6.0L & 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Super Duty and Excursion Air Filtration Q&A

Q : Don't all filters stop the same amount of contaminants from getting into the engine and turbo?
A: Absolutely not! The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters, produced by Donaldson Company, Inc., stop 99.99% of contaminants the size of one micron or larger.
Some aftermarket filters trap only 95%.
What does this mean to an owner?
Driven in the same conditions, a 95% filter would pass 50 grams of contaminant through to the engine that would be trapped by the OE filters!
Even a 99.00% filter would pass 10 grams of contaminant.
This could mean an early end to your engine or turbo.

Q: Won't aftermarket airbox modifications, which use a lower priced filter, save me money?
A: Don't be fooled by aftermarket tactics of comparing the cost of one filter because you also need to know how often you'll need to change filters.
The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filters hold more than three pounds of dust, dirt and soot.
The aftermarket kits tested by Donaldson Company, Inc. held about half this amount.
And don't forget, if these aftermarket replacement filters are less than 99.99% efficient, they pass some contaminant through to the engine that the OE filter would have stopped!

Q: How frequently do the 6.0L and 6.4L OE air filters need to be changed?
A: Everybody's driving habits and environments are different.
Owners/Dealers should check the air filter restriction gauge (located on the upper housing of the air cleaner assembly) at each oil change interval to determine when the filter needs to be changed.
Some vehicles also have a dash light that will illuminate when the filter needs to be changed.
No replacement is necessary until the filter minder (or dash light) gives indication.

Q: My filter minder doesn't seem to move, so shouldn't I check or change the filter to be safe?
A: The filter minder is a gauge that starts registering only after the filter reaches a certain point of being filled.
This is why owners do not see it consistently move (like a gas gauge).
Rest assured, the filter minder works and there is no reason to check on the filter by removing the airbox cover, thereby increasing the risk of contaminants entering the air intake system.
Remember, the 6.0L and 6.4L OE air filters hold more than three pounds of contaminant – so it will take some time to fill!

Q: I want maximum airflow through the system to provide more power.
Don't some aftermarket filters provide more airflow than the 6.0L or 6.4L OE air filters?
A: Airflow should not be the determining factor in buying a filter.
Think about it: would you ever operate without a filter in place even though you'd get maximum air flow?
High airflow generally means the filter is less efficient at stopping contaminants, too.
Owners should instead look for the combination of three factors: airflow, how small of contaminant the filter will stop, and how much contaminant the filter will hold.
The 6.0L and 6.4L OE filtration systems provide a great combination and it comes standard on all Super Duty and Excursion trucks!

Q: If the 6.0L and 6.4L OE filtration systems are so effective and efficient, why would anybody pay to modify them?
A: Excellent question.
It makes no sense to pay hard earned money to go backwards in technology – especially considering that such modifications may even put future warranty repairs in jeopardy.
You invested in your 6.0L or 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel truck to provide years of dependable service.
Ford engineered it with a great filtration. So just why would anyone pay to modify it?
================================================== ===

There is NO substitute for the OEM system
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
I've been using the Regular Fram Air Filter(paper) in the Sporto.

But this weekend, I spoted the Tuff Guard Premium Version of the Fram Air Filter and decided to try it out.

Let you guys all know my opinion after a few months..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #8

Garage
Thanks.

Ken,

That Q&A thing does sound a bit in favor of all things FORD! Still, it doesn't addres the K&N product or oiled filters in general. Lots of motorcycles, and jeeps and Land Rovers, use them succesfully. It can't be a myth?