Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 02:05 AM   #11

This being a sunday evening, I had to do some improvising to make a 7/8 crows foot to remove the heater element. Didn't have any filler rod, so I used some safety wire...

amockalypsenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #12

here's my bush mechanic fix:

Now, I just noticed that the IPR valve (is that what it is?) is not bolted on!?

Did some online research and found out the right threaded nut size is ½”-20. Off to the hardware store now.... (edit, just looked at the pic and saw the brass sheet metal nut there in the valley- I'm going to replace it with a solid one anyway...)

Old 06-28-2016, 04:57 AM   #13

My one day job turned into two days, but I got her all buttoned back up and she's running great!

-Fixed the up-pipe exhaust leak for now, and
-no more fuel leak.
-Those dieselorings blue hoses all round look slick too.
-who knows, I might have picked up some horses/mpgs by fixing the exhaust leak.

Stoked!
Old 06-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #14

FWIW David Clark Company is pretty much the benchmark for this type gear.

There have to be more than a few gently used motorcycle systems available too---perhaps something there could be adapted to headset worn instead of mounted inside a helmet?

Worth looking into maybe?[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll look into David Clark. I've found some headset com systems that aren't too bad on price. Would definitely want to try it before committing to $200+ per set though.
kccourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #15

I have a few different kind of dense rubber workout mats that I am eyeing up and considering adhering to the inside of my doghouse, underneath the insulation.

I'm in between jobs right now, so this is the only sound damping option that suits my budget.

Anybody have any experience with doing this?

Thanks.

edit: this is the cloased cell foam mat I speak of:
Old 06-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #16

I just did an experiment where I warmed up this foam and it outgassed a ton and caught fire quite easily... EEK! scrap that plan!
Old 06-29-2016, 04:47 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I've used this product for insulation: Reflective Insulation | TempShield Double Bubble White Foil Insulation Using a 3M spray adhesive once that's cured there's no out-gassing at all.

I used the foil side against the bare sheet metal of the interior walls and ceiling, double layer including dropping the front headliner. Along with unfaced fiberglass bats inside a few selected open body cavities this gives pretty amazing sound attenuation along with a relatively small degree of actual heat/cool insulation.

Adding a 3/4" plywood floor is a huge sound killer---the amount of noise coming through the floor is eye-opening. With careful fitting there's no need for screws etc to hold the plywood to the body. Drilling holes into the body is a sure way for rust to begin, assuming you live in a four season climate.

Side wall insulation is best with rigid foam high efficiency panels. This does require a bit of cutting and fitting if any sort of paneling will be installed---the end results worth the effort though.

Hope to hear and see more of your project as it progresses--should be a lot of help available here.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:32 AM   #18

Noise reduction was a yuge success.

I've been lifting some weights recently...
, now all I need is a front axle.

I am going to make my own front spring hangers, just coz that's the fun way of doing things.

I have a couple stock length driveshafts. Thinking about shortens one shaft in preparation to swap in with the transfer case and new transmission.

Any tips on measuring the new rear shaft length?
Old 07-07-2016, 03:43 AM   #19

The tranny has been rebuilt. Should I rebuild the transfer case? They are both from a 1996 f350. 400 bucks out the door for both!

Also, is the front driveshaft just a short version of the rear shaft, or is there more going on? I've never shortened a driveshaft- it would be a fun learning experience, although, I'm a student so I have other fun learning experiences that I may be wise to attend to... All fun to think about!!

Edit: the tcase is a 4407 I guess: anybody used one of these on a van?