Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

leaking fuel, noisiness, fun, more fun: 1997 7.3

howdy all,

I bought a crashed 1997 7.3 van, straightened her out, got her running, and found she was practically gushing fuel out the filter blockage sensor doodad... Replaced it, I did, naturally, but still have a slow leak. Gets worse when I've been driving freeway speeds.

So, equipped with the diesel orings rebuild kit, I'm going to try to get this leak stopped today.

While I'm in there I'm thinking of inspecting my turbo, and wrapping my down pipe in exhaust wrap.

Anything I should check, avoid, do while in there with these parts out?

I'd love to get a million miles outta this beast.

Also would love to reduce noise.

Thanks!

Cam
858 943I947

amockalypsenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #2

For sound and heat abatement for the doghouse you might consider the QuietRide pkg. See my previous post about it here:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ear-17388.html

Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #3

Good job and salvaging the 7.3

Thanks for the sound abatement lead. I just made some changes to my rig and now in addition to not hearing the people in the back, I have to shout to the passenger next to me. (I know I'm kind of asking for it with the mudders but...)
Yeah, I was looking for noise cancelling audio systems and recently noise cancelling headset communication systems that everyone in the van could wear if they didn't want to go crazy. I'll start with your suggestion.

But if you see a Sportsmobile with two people in the front wearing fighter pilot headsets you'll know it's me.
kccourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #4

I took out the downpipe, cut off the heat shield, wrapped with 50 feet of 2" exhaust wrap, hose clamped the shield back onto it and reinstalled. A noticeable decrease in sound netted.

Next, I reinstalled the intake resonator box that I had been running without.

Between the two things, the angry drone I had been listening to at high rpms was gone, and there was a very subtle overall decrease in volume.

But, it is still loud. There's much more to be achieved in sound reduction, but it's a start. I'm not going to just throw money at this puppy though.

Pics coming.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
MSD

Garage
I second what Bigriver said sound deadening the dog house, it will help a lot. I did the dog house and it made a world of difference. I also did the doors and the floor while I was at it. Helped even more... I went with a company call B-Quiet Affordable Auto Sound Deadening Materials | Order Online – B-Quiet. I like there products and the price is way better than Dynomat.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kccourtney View Post
Yeah, I was looking for noise cancelling audio systems and recently noise cancelling headset communication systems that everyone in the van could wear if they didn't want to go crazy.
This isn't a bad idea although it would attract looks of curiosity and confusion from other drivers.

If the interior noise is that objectionable and unable to be tamed to an acceptable personal level there are hundreds of possibilities and configurations where this would be very doable. Naturally aviation systems come to mind but the cost would be insane, the results pretty spectacular. Two-way communication along with wireless capability is commonplace now--stick shock probably fully in effect.

FWIW David Clark Company is pretty much the benchmark for this type gear.

There have to be more than a few gently used motorcycle systems available too---perhaps something there could be adapted to headset worn instead of mounted inside a helmet?

Worth looking into maybe?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #7

Wrapped the turbo down pipe, and I'm planning to wrap the two up pipes, and then spray all three with silicone spray...

...Incidentally the up pipe donuts are leaking quite badly. and I've bought a couple Victor Reinz F17250 gaskets to try to stem this problem.

While I have access in there I'm planning to remove the fuel bowl. Does anybody have any advice for little old me??

I'm a little stumped by the fuel pressure regulator. Do I remove it before removing the fuel bowl?

Thanks,

Cameron
Old 06-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #8

Remove with fuel bowl

Go to diesel orings . com for all the info you will need
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #9

Cool, thank you. Thought so.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #10

Got the fuel bowl out. Not so terrible. Reinstalling might kick my ass though.

I discovered a broken off tab that helps hold the thermostat/electrical connector in place. Are they under pressure? Should I care? Far from my buds machine shop otherwise I'd make something fancy to fix this... I have to get this van back together tonight so I might have to bush mechanic style safety wire it...

(edit, got in touch with bob at diesel orings, who advised I should definitely improvise something to secure this, as fuel pressure will be trying to prolapse this baby out the side of my fuel bowl. -super incredible customer service from diesel orings YET AGAIN!)...