Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #1

looking at new front springs need some input

Van is a 2002 e250 RB 2wd GVRW 7900
Goals put 2inch blocks in rear
Put new springs in front lifting about 2 inches
After looking online at Moogs website and here
Im thinking
Moog CC880s variable rate springs would work but how would the ride be?
Also I would need a camber kit im thinking
Eventually want to get Agile shocks (drool) but live in Canada so it will be awhile.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #2

Re: looking at new front springs need some input

This is tough. I looked all over for something that would give me a decent ride with about 1/5/8" lift in the front. I drive an 07 Quigley 4x4, but the spring applications and part numbers are the same for (at least that is what Quigley told me, and that's what fit). I ended up going with a non variable rate spring from SDtrucksprings.com, I can get you a part number if you need. I also did a set of Bilstein 5160 shocks from Ujoint Offroad, Chis is super nice and extremely prompt with his customer service. I'd do business with him again in a second. I can give you valving numbers for that too if you need. I also ordered a Helwig rear sway bar as well, but have installed it yet. Basically I pieced together my own RIP kit due to my lack of patience and Ramsey being so busy. I think Moog springs will be fine likely, in fact let me know what you end up going with, maybe I'll switch over to a variable rate. I did the swap on the front shocks and springs then left for a week long trip the following day. It was perfect because we convoyed with my close friend who also has an SMB so the opportunity for direct realtime comparisons while driving was awesome. I'm super pleased with the choices made for shocks and springs. I would say the difference is "night and day." I did not hit the bump stops one time the entire trip. Hope this helps.
C.
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

That Moog cc880s is the same spring I got to use with Ramsey's RIP kits, (I hope I'm not giving out any secret info) if you're thinking of getting his Fox shocks (which are great) you're halfway there. Or call up SMB for the shocks if you can't wait, not sure what the valving difference is between the 2, but they are now offering a custom valved Fox shock as well.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #4

Thank you thats what i was hoping. Eventually I plan on getting ramseys shocks . Shipping springs would be expensive....
Shocks would be bad enough but I plan on it eventually..
Old 12-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
That Moog cc880s is the same spring I got to use with Ramsey's RIP kits, (I hope I'm not giving out any secret info) if you're thinking of getting his Fox shocks (which are great) you're halfway there. Or call up SMB for the shocks if you can't wait, not sure what the valving difference is between the 2, but they are now offering a custom valved Fox shock as well.
For shocks i can recommend adjustable tough dog´s. They work great in mine. But you have to change some small things at the mountings to let the big beast fit in.
They are 10 times adjustable and the different between soft and hard is amazing. One of the best investments i made in my SMB

See here a comparison between tough dog, rancho´s, and OME´s

Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2586.jpg   IMGP2588.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
His van is a 2wd and your's is a Quigley 4X4.

We have not used the CC880S but it should give him about 1.5" of lift and ride good.

SMB's FOX shocks are not the same either - they are for their 4X4 system.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
His van is a 2wd and your's is a Quigley 4X4.

We have not used the CC880S but it should give him about 1.5" of lift and ride good.

SMB's FOX shocks are not the same either - they are for their 4X4 system.
Hi baja
Are there a better set of moog springs I should use that I can source locally?
I am in vancouver BC so am trying keep shipping costs down.
I do plan on getting your shocks to go with them when it is time.
Your shocks will work with 2ish inch lift and 2wd?
Im guessing i would not need a sway bar spacer kit for this setup?
Steering stabilizer seems like a good idea thou?

I just had all 4 tires slashed last week in huge (300+ car) vandalism spree that hit my neighbourhood (ya merry Christmas) so I had to replace my tires ahead of time I went with 245-75-16 nokian Rotiva AT load range E's instead of 225's.
that was the biggest I was told by tire shop that would fit me with no lift.
Was bad timimg and soaked up some of my christmas budget so now this is where I'm at.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #8

A 2" lift doesn't necessarily require away bar blocks, but it will cause it to bind a little more in the thru-axle bushings. If you still have stock rubber bushings, at the very least upgrade to the Moog polyurethane bushings. If your stock bushings aren't already shot, they will be soon with any lift at all.

I'm still running stock-legth shocks on my van, which also gained about 1.5" with new springs (same style, but higher spring rate).

PS - when doing the sway bar bushings, a chipping gun makes quick work of what can be a very frustrating process to get old bushings out.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
PS - when doing the sway bar bushings, a chipping gun makes quick work of what can be a very frustrating process to get old bushings out.
Not to hijack but what's a chipping gun? Same thing as an air chisel?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #10

Yup. same thing