Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #1

Angry Looks like dreaded HG leak

2004, 6.0L, 100K miles. Came on like a bad cold. Noticed a slight coolant leak under passenger area and noticed coolant on the starter. Started it up and it puffed white smoke, then drove it and white smoke emitted. Not happy. Oil looks good.

Anyone know of any good technicians in Delaware that would take on the dreaded engine removal out the front to do the repairs?

Thanks

greatwhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #2

What does the exhaust smell like?

The 6.0 doesn't usually leak externally when the head gasket goes. It's more likely to have a complete failure of the EGR cooler. Your van should have the original round-tube cooler, but those still crack at the welds sometimes.

I ask about the smell because a stuck injector will also make very white smoke. But it smells like a jet engine firing up, not like rotting maple syrup (which is what burning coolant smells like). Being a 6.0, the leaking coolant and the white smoke might not necessarily be related...
Old 11-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

Thanks so much for the reply. That helped. Another question. If it's a blown head gasket will it still drip when engine is off, I would think not. Hoping it's a leak above the head. Why I say that is because the head gasket on the end has fluid on it but I can't see far enough up there to notice where it is coming from. Is the original round tube cooler in that area above head and starter?
I started it up and smoke smelled more like a jet.

Thank you again.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

An external HG leak could continue after the engine is off just due to residual system pressure. I've just never heard of the 6.0 only failing externally. Now, if the whole head lifted, it certainly could leak externally but it'd be leaking internally worse.

If you loosen the overflow cap, do you see bubbles in the coolant? This is a certain tell-tale of a blown HG.

With that said... definitely go get a cylinder contribution test done. If you have a stuck or cracked injector, it can dump enough fuel in the cylinder to either hydrolock it, or lift the head. If it becomes hard-to-crank, have it towed. I had one customer that lifted his head when it locked up, then jumpstarted it with a 2nd truck and a booster pack.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #5

And yeah, the EGR cooler is above the engine. It'll leak to either side, once the valley fills up. Also original coolant hose connected to it was susceptible to rupturing. I think they good one is blue and the bad one is orange, but I might have that backwards.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #6

Thanks again. I'll check the overflow and see if it has bubbles.
Can a stuck injector unstick itself ? Do they normally smoke when only cold? I drove mine a few miles today and it stopped smoking. I was going to let it cool down again and start it and see if it smokes.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #7

Yes, and injector can "unstick" but usually with the help of a good detergent.

Before trying to unstick injectors, check the basics first, like FICM voltage, injector control pressure, and duty cycle to rule out any other root causes. Do you have any other symptoms like long cranking times to get it started? Or loss of power when pulling hills?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #8

I'd place my bet on a blown EGR cooler or leaking hose.E series 6.0L's don't often have head gasket problems because they are de-tuned or rather are rated at what International designed it to run. It delivers 80 less HP that the F series.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #9

I'll bet it's the stupid little EGR cooler hose. The blue one is the one you want. I have an extra I can send your way it that's the case.
Attached Thumbnails
EGR Cooler hose.JPG  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhite1 View Post
2004, 6.0L, 100K miles. Came on like a bad cold. Noticed a slight coolant leak under passenger area and noticed coolant on the starter. Started it up and it puffed white smoke, then drove it and white smoke emitted. Not happy. Oil looks good.

Anyone know of any good technicians in Delaware that would take on the dreaded engine removal out the front to do the repairs?

Thanks
I just went through the same symptoms myself 5 weeks ago. I also could not identify where it originated from and postured myself for the worst - thought I had blown a head gasket, and just replaced the engine 30,000 miles ago (completely Bulletproofed) so I was steaming.
Brought it to the Ford Dealer and turned out to be a loose hose clamp on the EGR cooler - Hope you have the same luck!