Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #1

manual switch for the torque converter clutch

Hi,
as i am from europe and used to drive manual shifted cars i hate to drive my E350 (7.3 4x4) in a speed unter 55mls because than the torque clutch was open.
Result of this: the engine lost a lot of power to "curl" the oil in the torque converter and heat it up because of excessive wheelspin. Also the engine was in a very noisy range than.
Uhhhh i realy hate it because also the consuption seems to be higher because of this of course.
So i decided to find a solution and try to give the tranny manual comands if i want.
I never understand why the program let this dinosaur of engine spin so much. It has so much torque and you should able to use it.

I built in an manual switch in the dashbord to give the torque clutch the comand to shift. It is an easy instalation and it works now since about 4000mls perfect.
Results:
-tranny oil temp was befor never under 170 and now most time between 140-150. Never goes over 170 if i use the switch
-consumption was befor about 16-17mpg now 18-19mpg are possible. While driving constand 50mls the van uses in average 20mpg!
-more power to the rear wheels, a different worls if you want to overtake! Like a kick in the ass
- much more confort because now the engine rotates most time less than before.

The best thing i have ever built in!
Just never forget to switch it of if you come to a red light and you have to stop....otherwise the engine will remember you

Does anyone also have done this? What do you think about it?
Any objektions to do this?

PS:
I use 285/70-17 and 3.7 axle

Didi

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: manual switch for the torque converter clutch

Tie in to your brake light switch so that when the brakes are applied, it cancels out the lockup.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #3

Garage

I ever had the idea to do the same on VivaLaVida... ;-)
Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

What I would give to have a lock up torque converter on a C6 tranny! I guess I just need to swap the TC and the tranny behind it to make it work.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Tie in to your brake light switch so that when the brakes are applied, it cancels out the lockup.
@ BajaSportsmobile. Good idea. As i need it also for a better brake moment in downhill driving maybe a switch also for this funktion is perfect for me.

In my car in the moment the overdrive light is on all the time after using the tcc-switch. I am looking for an solution of this small isiue.

Didi
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote