Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2019, 12:40 AM   #1

Muffler Options - time sensative

I had my muffler and tailpipe replaced today and have some questions.

I have a 2002 EB250 with a 5.4 Triton motor. This is my first Ford, and first van. I always felt the exhaust was too loud and planned to take up the floor and put in some sound deadner. Additionally, I chased around a rattle in the back, which improved with balancing the tires. However, once front end and brake rebuild were completed the rattle was back. Turns out, the muffler is bad, broken welds at both pipes. It is a flow master.

The Tech at the shop said I had 3 choices, #1 stock, which is quietest, less flow. #2 FlowMaster again, which is loudest, but provides best flow. OR #3, DynaMax which is kinda in between. I chose #3, thinking it would be best of both worlds.

Once completed, I could tell no difference in the sound at lower speeds, but was clearly quieter on the highway. Is that possible, to replace a flow master with a dynamax and have it make as much noise as a damaged flow master? Seems odd to me.

Consider also, there are some damaged high door weatherstrips, but doubt that has anything to do with noise coming through the floor.

I'm set up to replace the DynaFlow with a stock muffler on Monday AM, because I would rather listen to my radio than talk over a cool sounding, but loud exhaust.

I am hoping for some input from folks that have various types of mufflers. Keep the dynaflow and put in some sound deadner?
Replace with stock so it's quieter?

Heck I have yet to remove engine cover and some noise may be coming through there. I also suspect there may be a leak at the manifold, but that shouldn't cause such a loud noise at muffler, right?

Recommendations and experiences appreciated.

Wandering Bob

WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #2

I'd go with either this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...414370&jsn=457

Or put in a stock V10 muffler and tailpipe. Those are super quiet, but the V10 is a 3" system behind the cat vs 2.5" with the 5.4L.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I'd go with either this: but the V10 is a 3" system behind the cat vs 2.5" with the 5.4L.
Thanks carringb.

Interesting, my 5.4 has a 3" tailpipe, may have something to do with what is going on.

Like most learning lessons of this van ... I'm already into this and have to decide by Monday to get it right.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I too would go with the stock Ford parts--directly from Ford or a close second. Their exhaust systems are stainless steel and tend to last a long long time.

NOT cheap but long lasting---a quality I like.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #5

The first muffler I installed was too loud, and droned, so it was quickly replaced with a larger, more quiet one. It's much better, and there was no noticeable difference in power with my 5.4. Sadly I have no idea what brand they used, but it looked like my original one.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I too would go with the stock Ford parts--directly from Ford or a close second. Their exhaust systems are stainless steel and tend to last a long long time.

NOT cheap but long lasting---a quality I like.
I guess that's the way I'm heading. Not sure what quality they offer though it will be better.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
The first muffler I installed was too loud, and droned, so it was quickly replaced with a larger, more quiet one. It's much better, and there was no noticeable difference in power with my 5.4. Sadly I have no idea what brand they used, but it looked like my original one.
Thanks,

I did drive it a bit today and it is honestly better than before, but still louder than I want.

Wonder if a 2 3/4" pipe would quiet it down, but feel they are gonna just change it once, so I'll opt for the stock version and be done with it.

Wandering Bob
Old 06-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #8

I know my 5.4 came with 3" from the factory, I doubt a small reduction in diameter would make a considerable difference in volume, but as already said by others, a different muffler would. Flowmaster makes a bunch of different models too, so going from a "2 chamber" to a "3 chamber" (what I have on mine) would make a big difference, but I'm betting you already had a 3 chamber? Even then, I've put Flowmaster 70 series (nearly as big as the oem muffler) on a few trucks and motorhomes when the stock mufflers NEEDED replacement, and the sound was not much louder than stock.

I've been wondering about quieting mine down just a tad myself. On that note, what do you think about just adding a glasspack ahead of the muffler? I run mud terrains, so there's no point in getting the exhaust much quieter than the tires, sound deadener will have to take care of the rest of the road noise.

I've got about 30lbs of sound deadener already and plan to ad another 50lbs or so over the summer.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:29 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
FWIW I had a '97 E250 with 5.4 motor, terrible droning sound even with a modest build out of plywood floor and radiant barrier glued to the bare steel walls. Thinking it was the muffler my favorite exhaust shop told me a previous owner had removed the catalytic converter which also acts as a resonator, the droning I was hearing came from that missing cat.

I don't think adding any device that'll restrict exhaust gas flow is a good idea. I don't believe the Ford stock exhaust system is noisy one bit.

Just my $0.02 worth mind you!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #10

TheLetterJ,

<<I know my 5.4 came with 3" from the factory, >>

Interesting, I guess I have no way of really finding out how my exhaust was originally configured.

<<On that note, what do you think about just adding a glasspack ahead of the muffler? I run mud terrains, so there's no point in getting the exhaust much quieter than the tires, sound deadener will have to take care of the rest of the road noise>>

Not interested in going down the glasspack route. Adds other factors into the mix.

<<I've got about 30lbs of sound deadener already and plan to ad another 50lbs or so over the summer.>>

I think deadener and updating some weatherstripping along with going back to near stock configuration will be my best options.

Thanks so much.